Metal Candle Holder

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bearsandtulips, May 9, 2021.

1. Bearsandtulips

Bearsandtulips New Member

Hello,

My mom has this metal candle holder from when she was a teen. Her uncle gave it to her when he was in his 70s and it has to be at least 100 years old because his parents gave it to him. The four smaller candle holders come out, so maybe it used to be used for light at night before electricity was common for every household. There are no markings or labels on it. Can anyone identify what metal it is, and how old it is?

Thank you for your time. Screenshot_20210509-021230.png

judy and Hamburger like this.
  2. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Welcome!

Could you try and post some better pictures, please? A plain (white) background would also make it easier to see details of your piece.

A photo showing the base would help and it might be helpful to see how the four candlesticks separate from the larger object. Can they stand on their own or are they only suitable for lighting the way to bed?

3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

It would help to know what country you're in and where your grandparents lived. I lightened your picture a little bit. They look like pewter to me.

metalcandlesticks.png

Bakersgma, judy, Hamburger and 2 others like this.
  4. Bearsandtulips

Bearsandtulips New Member

Hello, thank you for the replies Hamburger and NewEngland! Attached are some images, I hope they are a little better. The holders come out of the little metal circles and I tried to include photos of that. Also, we think it is from the United States that is where they lived and we live.
    Screenshot_20210509-162013.png Screenshot_20210509-161934.png Screenshot_20210509-161929.png Screenshot_20210509-161923.png Screenshot_20210509-161915.png Screenshot_20210509-161909.png

judy and Hamburger like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd vote very worn and very tarnished silver plate.

Bearsandtulips and judy like this.