Metal Rooster with Flip Open Feature -- Purpose?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by AntiqueBytes, Feb 1, 2023.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this served any special purpose?

5 & 1/2" tall. by 6 " wide Rooster1.jpg Rooster2.jpg Rooster3.jpg Rooster4.jpg

judy, Figtree3, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Ashtray?

judy, Figtree3 and AntiqueBytes like this.
  3. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

To hide Milady's pearls and emeralds?
    Salt?
    To frighten little children away from the Christmas cookies?

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@AntiqueBytes, I can't quite speak to what your little rooster might have been used for (from your image I thought he was HUGE until I re-read your post!!!), but if you put a strong magnifier on where I've circled, does it look like printing or a signature??? At least, I think that's a possibility! Look carefully in those "feathers"!! Good Luck....he looks bronze!

BRNZ ROOSTER-A-gigapixel--2_50x.jpg

judy and AntiqueBytes like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Could you keep matches in it?

Figtree3 and AntiqueBytes like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just "small stuff" in general probably. It's the wrong shape for ciggies or saccharine tablets. No striker for wood matches, but it would hold matchbooks.

7. AntiqueBytes

It does look just long enough to put the old fashion strike matches of normal size. Probably at one time they were more popular than book matches.

judy, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  8. AntiqueBytes

Thanks for the tip to look among the feathers. The hash type mark you pointed out is actually on all the feather ends, but one cannot see it from that photo.

judy, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Thinking that may just be a case of "pareidolia" ?

judy, crowleys and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

11. AntiqueBytes

Thanks. I notice that says brass. I am not sure of the metal of mine. It looks more like pot metal. Maybe it's just dirty?

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  12. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

At last! I KNEW there had to be a name (and an excuse) for my peculiar tendency!! And it seems to indicate that I have a "well-wired" brain!

So why do computers, phones, refrigerators, microwaves, etc., all become stuck, slithery, pixel panic prone, or evidence a tendency to run backwards, etc. The faces I see in my carpet do NOT compensate for the ability to access the Antiques Forum, or Gmail! :inpain::inpain: :rage::rage:

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  13. AntiqueBytes

Usually means we just have to be bigger than the problem. For me, that means nootropics (brain supplements) and studying as many tech subjects as I can. I also do high tech work but since getting in the antiques business in the late 90s, the antiques stuff started to override that. But since my interest isn't just in "what will the rich buy" but buying things that mean a lot to a liberal arts major interested in spirituality. Which means what I buy doesn't always sell for high prices. So, I know what its like to fall behind all the new versions of things and needing to catch up.

Figtree3, Bronwen and silverbell like this.
  14. AntiqueBytes

I'm still not sure how I'm going to clean this. It seems some cleaning methods can leave certain types of residues and create staining later down the road. Any suggestions?

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A Damp cloth?

16. AntiqueBytes

Someone said it had lacquer on it. People do that to protect the brass's polished state and preserve it from other aging problems. There are about 10 ways of removing lacquer, and since this piece has its own characteristics (it's thin brass in parts), was hoping someone might know which to pick.

17. AntiqueBytes

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Bronwen

I don't have any expertise in this, but to my eyes the etsy one looks like iron or base metal with sort of a brassy wash.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  19. AntiqueBytes

Thanks for your input. Mine is not magnetic.

Bronwen likes this.