Featured Metal Rosettes (One with Green Enamel) German? Prussian?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Barn Owl, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I bought this pair of rosettes at the flea market a few days ago for 50 cents each. The one on the left has some green enamel on it. I haven't been able to find an exact pair online. I think they're German or Prussian. I'd love to know if they're WWI or earlier, since I don't collect WWII era stuff.

20190629_200724.jpg 20190629_200732.jpg

I also bought this leather coin purse (kartushe?) a while back, and would love any suggestions on how to remove the paint or further preserve the leather.

thumbnail (7).jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'd try saddle soap very gently. You don't want to damage the surface any more than it is.

Mill Cove Treasures and Barn Owl like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Thank you :) My family owns horses, so I'll give that a shot.

komokwa likes this.
  4. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Definitely clean and protect with saddle soap. There is a product called Leather New by Farnam that I love. It cleans and conditions the leather. I used it on all my saddles and bridles. It made an old, moldy, Stubben saddle I picked up at a flea market look like it was new.

I've also cleaned antique leather items with it. It may lift some of the paint if not all depending on what type of paint it is. After you clean it, if there is any paint left, use a q-tip dipped in Oops or Goof Off and only rub on the paint area. I was able to remove most of the paint from a small coin purse that way. You may end up with some bits of paint left in the grain and I would leave that alone or you could damage the leather. Here is a link to the Leather New for identification purposes only. (although, I think this a great price).

https://www.chewy.com/farnam-leathe...MIivfZ0qiy4wIVkYbACh0dCw9qEAQYASABEgJ18_D_BwE

Figtree3 and Barn Owl like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Fantastic, thank you. :) I have a few other random antique leather pieces that could use cleaning. I'd never have thought to use saddle soap.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  6. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

It comes down to personal experience but I have a WW1 chainsaw with a leather case which had some paint on it. I used very carefully Q tips soaked in nail varnish remover but it took a while and required a lot of patience as you need to make sure the nail varnish remover covers the paint and not the leather itself. Once you see the leather coming through, saddle soap can be used. Worked for me but make not work for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted