Metal sculpture made in France

Discussion in 'Art' started by NewEngland, Apr 18, 2022.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I have a very interesting piece that is made of soldered metal - including a large spike for his head neck and hat, and a piece of metal marked Peugeot Freres used for his body. He measures 15 1/2" tall. He's a man on rollerskates wearing a hat and smoking a pipe, with a briefcase in his left hand. It has a business card attached to the base calling it "My Uncle" "Jacques Tati" which sold at Joan Winters art studio for $2850. I peeled away a little bit of the card and see that it's a printed card from Joan Winters Fine Art in San Carlos. There is also a name "Alain" written on the card who might be the sculptor. Any thoughts on when it was made or the possible sculptor? I know Jacques Tati was a French actor back in the 50s. I was hoping to bring this to the Antiques Road Show in Vermont but I never heard from them, so I guess I didn't get tickets. Thanks for your help.

jacquestati.JPG jacquestatiA.JPG jacquestatiC.JPG JacquesTatiLabel.JPG

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Jacques Tati wrote, produced, directed and starred in the film Mon oncle or 'My Uncle' which was released in 1958. There was a Tati revival immediately after his death (1982) and your piece could very well date to then.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do you mean the Winters Fine Art in Carmel, CA? It would be helpful if you posted a photograph of the printed business card itself.

Debora

NewEngland likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thats quirky,and I love me some quirky .

NewEngland likes this.
  5. NewEngland

Debora, Here's a picture of the business card taped to the bottom of the sculpture, from Winters Fine Art Gallery in Carmel, CA. I read that the Winters also had a home in France and purchased art there to sell in Carmel. I googled welded metal sculptors in France and came up with Alain Douillard (d 2017) who was noted for this type of sculpture. This is not signed, and the writing on the card has worn off, so I can read only "Alai...".

jacquestaticard.JPG

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and NewEngland like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@NewEngland , sorry that you didn't get tickets to ARS in Vermont! I hope you get in touch with Jerry Winters.

NewEngland likes this.
  9. NewEngland

Thanks. I might contact him when I have time. Busy with a newly adopted cat who is not having an easy time adapting to her new home.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted