Metal-Wrapped Embroidery Thread: Gold & Silver Toned

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by wlwhittier, Dec 23, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Purl is a word used with this type of thread, but there are differentiations based on the support fiber, and on the cross-section of the wrapping material. This is a flat tape (technically rectangular in cross-section). The look is certainly meant to represent silver & gold...but I've no idea what these truly are. Contents & bag weigh ~32 grams...in the hand it feels heavier than it should...whatever that means. The way the loops are gathered an' tied off with what looks like wrapped paper tells me that's how it is sold, in 'hanks' (I'm sure there's a more correct name for that, but...). I'd like to know whether it's vintage of modern, and how...if at all...to determine the true nature of the two metals. Do any of you needle-wizards have any familiarity with this stuff, or similar? Thanks for lookin'!

E46A84D8-835F-4E90-A934-9443E350A734_1_201_a.jpeg 3D34036B-5C3D-4F6B-A86E-6395CDA26718_1_201_a.jpeg 89E0100B-53B7-47DD-8322-63E3A6DB75F4_1_201_a.jpeg F76C037F-8CFE-4B49-8CA7-FA716E638C5D_1_201_a.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. komokwa

we had a product once called Lurex......and we sold neckties with 18 kt gold embroidered thread...

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. komokwa

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thanks, komokwa...apparently what I have is jap.
    Looked at your ties; Lovely!
    Read the needlethread piece fully, thank you, an' learned quite a bit; so believe mine is nothing of much value or significance...and modern as today. eBay will get it after January 1st. I'm grateful for your comments!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted