Mexican Carved Medusa Mask

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Mario, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Fairly common object? For sale on Ebay #262307540292 med 1.jpg med 2.jpg med 3.jpg med 4.jpg med 5.jpg med 6.jpg med 1.jpg med 2.jpg med 3.jpg med 4.jpg med 5.jpg med 6.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can you actually SEE wood under that flaking paint?? 'Cuz to me in the pictures it kind of nearly looks either plaster or cement......IMHO.....from what I'm seeing......

You also might want to crop out that "dead, gray" space & the bottom of the table in those couple of pictures.....lets us zone in on what we need to see better!

3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Attached Files:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's creepy as all get out, but I don't think it was made to wear.....so...a tourist item, of decent quality.....& may have some age.

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

IMO it is an unique piece of folk art, whether it was made to sell or to wear. For me that puts it above the usual mass-produced tourist souvenir item. Age is another matter, no idea except that if it was worn in ceremonies, it doesn't show it. To me it is a pretty neat, unusual wall decoration whatever the precise history or lack of it.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Photograph it on a plain, white sheet instead of wooden table as Aquitaine said. Also, Medusa was a woman and this guy has a beard so I wouldn't call it Medusa in listings. Folk art from South America maybe?

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Oh, I just realized you said it was listed by someone else. I wouldn't buy it unless I had more answers and knew I could resell it at a profit.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Agreeing with Bev.........

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Mario, the EBay item is yours, right?

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It would not surprise me if those two masks were from the same hand !

Nice find Gila...

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you, Professor!!!

13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

One odd thing is that there is a single hole in the top of the forehead, presumably for hanging it on the wall.....that kind of hanging method with a single loop is pretty specific to Guatemala in my limited experience. The eyes also remind me of Guatemalan masks I've seen.
    But I freely admit my knowledge of Guatemalan masks comes solely from researching ones that were mis-identified as being Northwest Coast Native.

14. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

Maybe it is a medusa from India(with a dot on a forehead) :)

Draft saved Draft deleted