Featured Mexican Pottery signed CAT is Ceramica Artistica Tonala

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LauraGarnet02, Jul 21, 2021.

1. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

One of those serendipity moments, I accidentally found the ID for Mexican pottery marked CAT in Google books while searching for something else! It's only taken me 15 or 20 years. :chicken:
    02a_pottery_bird_mug_marked_CAT_Mexico_Tonala.jpg
    01a_pottery_bird_mug_marked_cat_Mexico.jpg
    CAT Ceramica Artistica Tonala. Established in the village of Tonala Mexico around 1960 by Manuel Garay, a professional engineer with no background in ceramics but with an eye for business opportunities. Book: From Folk Art to Modern Design in Ceramics, Ethnographic Adventures in Denmark and Mexico 1975 to 1978. By Edna Mitchell and Robert Anderson.
    01a_Sun_face_pottery_mug_CAT_MEXico.jpg
    02a_sun_face_pottery_mug_CAT_MEXico.jpg
    A couple of quick and dirty pics of two mugs I have, for illustration. So, this post is informational only and it'll be out there for anyone else who is looking for an ID of signed CAT Mexico Tonala pottery mark. :joyful:

verybrad, elarnia, Tanya and 11 others like this.
  2. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

I love that one of the little blue bird!

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Can't tell you how many times I've found one thing I've been on the lookout for with no success by actively searching while looking for something else, with no luck there.

DizzyDaff and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. Casimiro

Casimiro New Member

Along similar lines, does anyone know anything about the Mexican pottery mark "Amex"? I have seen it on the bottom of pottery said to be from Tonala.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. NettleheadVintage

NettleheadVintage New Member

That was super helpful, thanks!

LauraGarnet02 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted