Featured Mexican Silver Bracelet - Stone or Glass?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Aug 24, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found this bracelet with green stones\glass that is only marked "Silver Mexico" My question has to do with the stones\glass, but any other comments would be appreciated. I know you can't tell a stone from glass in a photo, but there is a chip in one of the stones\glass that might reveal something. IMG_3918.jpg IMG_3931 (1).jpg IMG_3921 (1).JPG IMG_3922 (2).JPG IMG_3923 (1).JPG IMG_3925 (1).JPG IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3932 (1).JPG

i need help, KSW, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like glass or dyed chalcedony.

Kathy Anderson, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That very round conchoidal fracture argues for glass. Quartz chips similarly, but not usually so neatly.

4. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for looking at this. I really like the deep green color against the silver.

komokwa, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I was thinking glass but wasn't sure with all that silver. I appreciate your comments. I only discovered the chip while I was taking photos. I figured the owner might have kept it if it was undamaged, so I get to have it and enjoy it now.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous bracelet, Kiko.
    I'm with Bronwen, glass. This colour glass was used a lot in Mexican jewellery from the 30s-40s, the period this lovely was made. It is typical of the fresh new Mexican designs of the time, a mix of pre-Columbian inspired and Art Deco/Modernism.

You probably don't see the chip when you wear it, and I agree, the colours look perfect together, so it is a stylish bracelet you can really enjoy wearing.

7. KikoBlueEyes

You are so wonderful for sharing the bracelet's history with me. It's so exciting to think it has been around for 80-90 years hanging on who knows who wrists, going about daily life, or to special events. I love the idea of the Art Deco\PreColumbian mix in the artist's design. Again thank you for your insights.

8. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

love this bracelet! I have one somewhat similar (glass stones+ silver cushiony-ball design (not a technical term:dead:) ) and from the same era and also just marked "silver mexico" so yes I would also guess these are glass!
    this is the one I have:
    https://www.antiquers.com/media/pink-glass-stones.5052/ I love that in yours the stones are more much nicely set (mine have these pokey prongs that catch on absolutely all fabric I'm wearing ) and I love the silver twists that run across the stones! very cool!

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A very nice wearable bracelet.... Enjoy !!!!:happy:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

I love that you have one that is very similar. Your glass pieces are a wonderful color. I can see how all those prongs would catch, so maybe that's why they went to cages to hold the glass in. Thanks for sharing your treasure. :):)

Any Jewelry and Kimbert like this.
  11. Kimbert

my pleasure! yes, it's super annoying, I would wear it much more often if it weren't for those darn prongs!! alas! I hope you get much more wear out of yours =)

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

After years of finding similar bracelets I have a caution for you. Have the metal tested. I can’t tell you how many times I have come across similar bracelets marked silver that are not!

Make sure you know what you have, especially if you are going to try to sell it :wideyed:

Any Jewelry, Kimbert and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I will. Thanks for the kind words.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Kimbert

oh my that's a shame that you've come across that often!! good tip!
    I must say, my silmilar bracelet that I linked to has proven harder to polish up than the rest of my silver.. wonder if that's a sign that maybe it's not! hmmm... I don't own testing materials (I don't sell btw)

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Marie, Thanks for the caution. I bought a silver testing kit, but can't seem to get it to work right yet. I testing a spoon marked sterling and it didn't turn red as expected - it turned blue. I bought it because I found a handmade cuff, (poorly done) that I wanted to test. As soon as I figure out how to make it work, I'll check it out. I don't buy to sell, though.
    IMG_3934.jpg IMG_3936.jpg IMG_3935.jpg

Any Jewelry and Kimbert like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

That's interesting. I bought a cheap testing kit from Amazon with liquids and a stone, but it's not proven to be of much help yet. I figure I'm not doing it right and I should have gotten a white stone. I polished mine a little (it needs much more) and it came up pretty shiny with a sunshine cloth. Not a seller either.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Kimbert

that's a very interesting looking cuff! I hope someone will be able to help you troubleshoot the testing kit!!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

I debated a long time before buying it, as it not the quality of a skilled artisan. Maybe a student piece. I was attracted, though, to it's amalgamation of metals and materials. The silver part is light weight, so I thought they may have started out with silver sheet upon which they hammered a texture.

19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don’t use silver testing kits because it’s near impossible for me to see the subtle differences in the reds, especially on a dark stone. I test using 18k gold acid. The scraping disappears then reappears as silver-blue flakes. I always test a new piece along side a known piece of sterling. If the results are the same I know I have sterling.

Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for that. :) I'll try that with some sterling to see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted