Featured Mexican silver bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 11, 2018.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Worth $8 US?
    7 1/4" long, 28g (1oz)

z.jpg

The stones are a sort of semi-cabochon:
    zz.jpg

Held in place by adhesive and good wishes?
    zzz.jpg

Did I get the stones right?
    zzzz.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd pay $8 all day. I'd say dyed howlite or ???, obsidian, malachite, mahogany obsidian, sodalite, aventurine, tigerseye, dyed something or other, and either obsidian or onyx. This is a newer piece, so it could go either way.

Howlite has black veins in it generally, and magnesite has brown ones. Howlite's a good bet; the color is too vibrant and pure to be set this way if it's the real deal. My guess anyway; you never know what a random bloke in a shed will do! This bloke was in Mexico City, or had pieces assayed there at least.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

When I go to the wholesale shows, the Mexican bracelets start wholesale at $65 and go up. So $8 was a steal

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice MOS.
    And of course, wonderful photos to boot.
    :)

moreotherstuff and kyratango like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Mahogany obsidian is new to me. Why aventurine rather than chrysoprase? More common? None of these seems particularly exotic. Some of them are more like poorer cousins. Just from the way the polishing has softened its edges, I think the light blue is quite soft. For what it's worth: none of these fluoresce.

Good news on the price. My stuff doesn't usually work out that way.

TY for the compliment on the photos.

Thanks to all for looking.

kyratango likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Black onyx & green aventurine quartz. Obsidian would not be a good choice for a bracelet stone, too easily damaged. Looks like a descendant of bracelets that were popular in the 60s; each link was a semiprecious stone incised like a scarab. They were multicolored like this. This one also looks more sturdily made than those usually were.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I sold a similar one on Ebay not that long ago; the stones were cabs. Chrysoprase that stone isn't. Chrysoprase is uniformly green and it's darker. The spotty green is aventurine quartz. Mahogany obsidian is brown and black; it's a stone that started turning up in jewelry about 20 years ago if memory serves. Chrysoprase comes in orange too, i.e. carnelian and light gray/purply blue - chalcedony. Those are all translucent.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Great images!! Pretty bracelet!! Nice steal!! :):)

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Mahogany obsidian has been used in jewelry for many years.Glass Buttes in Oregon has a primitive area of 6000 acres where tons of obsidian have been removed by hobbyist and professional miners for over 60 years.Northern Mexico also has a number of areas with different types just covering the ground for anyone to pick up.

10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Quite a steal IMO and made as higher grade since it’s 950 instead of 925.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted