Mexican sterling jewelry mark ID please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tyeldom3, Aug 15, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I've really tried to find this marking on some of the Mexican jewelry identification websites, but I can't find it. Can you help?:cat: Thanks for your time.
    From what I can see, it looks to read: Hecho En Mexico Sterling with perhaps initials TC or JC in the center (but I could be facing it the wrong direction, and it could be something else entirely:wacky:), and the eagle mark looks to be facing left., But it is very hard to see and photograph.
    DSCN2299.JPG DSCN2304.JPG DSCN2309.JPG DSCN2308.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Wellll, that looks like the "older style" eagle mark in a circle that was used from around 1948-c1955. Boy, wish I could make out the number on the eagle. I have zoomed in and out on the pics and I can't figure out the number. I haven't ID the maker's mark either (TC, JC, or CT, CJ orrr TG, TO, etc...) in Hougart's The Little Book of Mexican Silver Trade & Hallmarks yet. There seems to be a makers using the following letters:

"JC Sterling 925 Hecho en Mex circle."
    "JC Sterling circle. Eagle 157"

"TC Cojoined. Hecho en Mexico D.F. 0925. Eagle 1"
    "TC Conjoined. Hecho en Mexico Taxco circle. Eagle 5."
    "TC Sterling Mexico 925 circle."

"TO Sterling Mexico circle."

--- Susan

3. tyeldom3

Susan you are ever so sweet to help me, and I really appreciate it. I just tried again to get some better pictures, but that's as close as I can get. It's very small. I have also looked with a 30x loop, and 60x, with no help, to read anything better:(. I don't see any number in the eagle, but I can't really tell what I'm looking at. I too couldn't find any similar marks like this one:confused:.
    Again, you're so kind and a great big thanks.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Tye,
    Here is a hint I learned from the Met in NYC. Take a candle and light it, quickly put the hallmarks real close to the flame so it covered with soot. Blow out the candle and take a piece of clear cellophane tape and press it into the hallmarks lift it off and put the tape onto a piece of white paper (I use index cards). It is amazing at the detail that can be seen. Oh, course wash off the soot. I use index cards so I can write on the back of the card with the details of the item. That way I have a copy of the hallmarks and a description. Even with good eyes and powerful loupe details jump out.
    greg

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It looks to me like it could be a "9" maybe.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Blowing it up made it a tad blurry, but maybe it will help?

3mexjewelry.JPG

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Read Susan's post again, I think she got it. There are only two entries for TC conjoined, (I think that is what it is), in The little book of Mexican Silver. She mentioned them above.

There was a Teresa Camino who designed for TANE and Spratling, but her mark is TECA.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. tyeldom3

Thank you so so much Susan, Greg, Susang, Pat and Messi!
    I just did the soot on the back, and pictures are below of 2 different attempts. Thanks for that advice Greg, that is very nice to know!
    Thanks Susang, I will look into Teresa Camino, and re-read Susan's reply, I am just not sure if the mark reads 925 anywhere, and what the eagle 5 means?, does that mean there would be a number 5 on the mark?
    Thanks again so much.:kiss: All of you.
    DSCN2320.JPG DSCN2324.JPG DSCN2327.JPG DSCN2325.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted