MICHAEL KNIGIN "Bold Voyager AP 1978"

Discussion in 'Art' started by kdj, Jan 13, 2019.

1. kdj

kdj Member

1. Hello - Can anyone tell me
    2. How to know if my print is a serigraph or a lithograph?
    3. Does a print that is gifted to another with artist’s signature, make a difference in value?
      My print is as follows:
      Sight measurements, 20 ¼ wide by 18. Print paper size, 21 ¾ by 24 ¼ wide.
      Mine is wrapped – under protective plastic. Pictures are taken with it covered. There are creases in the plastic. The print is perfect. I listed a few of the locations of same print. I am trying to figure out where my print fits into those variations. Maybe someone could tell me more and what else to look for where my print is concerned. Thanks very much! Links below.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Does a print that is gifted to another with artist’s signature, make a difference in value?

In this case it helps to identify the artist.....
    but in most cases where the giftee is not famous.....no...no real heightening of value..

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The inscription could make a difference in sale-ability. I see this problem often with books.

komokwa and i need help like this.
  4. komokwa

I have a well known print
    by a well known artist
    signed by the subject of the print
    to me...
    I believe it's actually hurt the value...cept to me & my daughter...

Same with a hollywood movie star.....signed publicity photo...to me...
    ( although the subject matter should help retain most of it's value..)

antidiem, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. komokwa

.........a Pawn Stars episode highlights this...
    where ChumLee goes out to get an album cover signed by the artist....but returns having it signed....to him !
    Rick goes nuts !!:hilarious:

aaroncab, antidiem and i need help like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what is AP these days ? artist's proof ?

antidiem and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. komokwa

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

........a Pawn Stars episode highlights this...
    where ChumLee goes out to get an album cover signed by the artist....but returns having it signed....to him !
    Rick goes nuts !!:hilarious:

Excellent point. A flat signature makes an item worth more, while a personalized inscription makes it worth less.

antidiem and komokwa like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm guessing this might be yours as the inscription is the same. Not a current auction and because it included another print not an exact value either but less than either you posted. Sold for $400 in Nov 2013.

Anyway, they call it a lithograph and I'd think Rago would probably know but good to check anyway. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice in that area.

What I did wonder, if an inscription is in pencil and can be removed, does that affect value also? (it's a question that I have no answer to either) For example, if the For Steven was removed and it just said "with much affection Michael".

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/21532121_various-artists-two-works

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  10. kdj

kdj Member

Thanks!

antidiem likes this.
  11. komokwa

Maybe u could erase the 'steven'...but the impression would still be there , noticeable... and would constitute an alteration ....thus rendering the print less valuable.

antidiem likes this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yeas please don't try to erase anything. That would be worse.

At least yours is signed NOT ON THE MAT BOARD - right?

I really squirm to see when an artist signs on the cardboard instead of the print!!

13. kdj

kdj Member

Thanks everyone! no - I won't change anything on the print.

14. kdj

kdj Member

This is interesting - that the same inscription is on another print? So did Steven get two prints gifted to him or what?

i need help likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That auction was for 2 works, not just the one that appears to be the same as the one you have. Total price $400 back in 2013. I guess an even better question is when and how you got the one you have.

Maybe the bidder really wanted the other one?

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think also a question that was implied was whether or not your print is the same one that was in that link and sold in 2013. Bakersgma asked when and how you got the one you have. Could you have gotten it from the person who bought it in 2013? Provenance (tracing the ownership of a piece) can be important.

i need help likes this.
  17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Good to know, I was really thinking along the lines of a professional removal but if an alteration is worse than a personal inscription then not a good idea.

18. kdj

kdj Member

Lacking glamour I know - but maybe lucky too, I bought mine at a Goodwill about two years ago here in Minnesota. From a previous post from say_it_slowly - who is Rago? I guess it is a lithograph? Maybe a stone litho? (yes - I've been reading...) and will have to have it examined for paper type etc. at some point. I see there were serigraphs as well...IF the people posting/selling knew what THEY had. But after looking at the Michael K. websites it seems that the 1978 prints are lithos.

It is signed on the print.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    antidiem likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Rago" was the auction house for the liveauctioneers post above. Rago Arts and Auction Center of New Jersey. Very good outfit. David Rago has been an appraiser of art pottery for Antiques Roadshow for years.

antidiem likes this.
  20. kdj

kdj Member

This is sale information:
    Allan D' Arcangelo (American, 1930-1998): Flying Horse, 1975; Screenprint in colors; Signed, dated and numbered A.P.; 14 1/4" x 17 3/8" (sheet); Michael Knigin (American, 1942-2011): Bold Voyager, 1978; Lithograph in colors; Signed, dated, titled, inscribed and numbered A.P.; 21 7/8" x 24 1/8" (sheet); Provenance: Vermillion Limited Editions Collection, Minneapolis
    CONDITION
    D'Arcangelo: The work of art is in very good condition. Signed, dated and numbered lower recto, light surface dirt upper margin. M. Knigin: The work of art is in good condition. Signed, dated, titled, inscribed "For Steven, with much affection Michael" and numbered. Small nick top edge, slight discoloration to paper, handling marks upper right corner.

and now I see Rago Arts and Auction Center on the sale site LiveAuctioneers so that answers that question. So, it would seem someone bought this and it ended up in a Goodwill - can hardly believe it wasn't wanted!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted