MID CENTURY EARRINGS QUESTIONS - DESIGNER'S NAME? TYPES OF STONES?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by journeymagazine, Feb 17, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Finally got to another box of jewelry left to me by my mom & in 1 velvet bag were several pairs of earrings including Richard Kerr + a unknown pair, which are signed by a name I can't find/make out. (Vaubal 007?)
    Can anyone tell me who made these earrings?
    Also, what are the Kerr earrings made of - what do I call them when listing for sale?
    The same for the Dweck earrings - what do I call the center piece of them?They look like stone but have a coating of some kind; probably to protect the stone?
    Thank you!
    PS - I noticed they look better when photographed not so close up & would probably look even better if on a ear - my girlfriend doesn't want to be on eBay, so what & where can I get a mannequin head? with ear lobes? There has to be a earring display head or something; I have a LOT of earrings & something like that would make it much easier to photograph!

JEWELRY EARRING VAUBOL 2AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRING VAUBOL 6AA.JPG

WHAT DO I CALL THE STONE IN THE STEPHAN DWECK EARRINGS BELOW?

JEWELRY EARRINGS 1 PAIR STONE EARRINGS STEPHEN DWECK 1A_A.JPG
    JEWELRY EARRINGS 1 PAIR STONE EARRINGS STEPHEN DWECK 2AA.JPG

RICHARD KERR EARRINGS - WHAT ARE THEY MADE OF? (They actually seem to sparkle when not so close up - especially the orange ones)
    JEWELRY EARRINGS RICHARD MEER ORANGE 1A_AA.JPG )

JEWELRY EARRINGS RICHARD KEER BROWB & WHITE 1AAA.JPG
    JEWELRY EARRINGS RICHARD MEER ORANGE 5AA KERR RICHARD KERR NOT MERR.JPG

KJL EARRINGS - I DON'T THINK THOSE ARE MADE OF REAL TURQUOISE RIGHT?

JEWELRY EARRINGS KENNETH LANE 1AAA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS KENNETH LANE 3AA.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

These are by Alex Bitter - the stone looks almost like a pillow(!), what is it really? Lucite?
    Thanks again all

JEWELRY EARRINGS ALEX BITTAR 1AAAzz.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS ALEX BITTAR 1BAAzz.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS ALEX BITTAR 4AAzz.JPG

kyratango and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Rainbow calsilica.

kyratango likes this.
  4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Yes - lucite!
    https://www.alexisbittar.com/handcrafted

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Someone liked high end earrings. KJL is Kenneth Jay Lane, they will be glass. Kerr probably resin set with rhinestones.

Give the Dweck ones a wipe with vinegar to get the crud off.

I've got a pair of Bittar earrings, grabbed at a car boot sale for peanuts, lovely stuff.

Photos: natural light would work better than whatever you're using. They're over exposed, so you're losing detail on them. Macro setting, plain background of a colour that makes the earrings pop. V72A.jpg V72B.jpg V72C.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Only the metal though. They use some artificial stuff in those rainbow calsilica stones, sometimes even wax, so don't let it come in contact with the vinegar.:nailbiting:

kyratango likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You can get an inexpensive earring display stand at any hobby store for photographs. Here's just one style. They're not expensive but still... Wait until you have a coupon from the Sunday paper.

Debra

Unknown.jpg

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those aren't mid-Century. They look 1980s-ish (but conservative for period.) I would suspect your mother's taste had been formed a couple decades before.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Tanya likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with 1980s and later.

I think the Vaubel ones (you can search Vaubel clip earrings on Ebay and will find others) Think the signature might mean @07, an abbreviation for 2007.

You have some good names in there. No big negative that the KJL ones are glass, they will sell on the name of the designer.

If you sell on Ebay, maybe alert buyers that you are selling your mom's designer collection and to see other auctions. And be sure to put CLIP EARRINGS in the titles.

Any Jewelry and quirkygirl like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

The Bittar ones are this century and expensive. KJL and some of the other may be into the 90s.

12. journeymagazine

Vinegar only on metal & I'll look up how to put macro on, on my camera!
    I said mid century because I don't know earrings but I know I recognize some of the jewelry from my mom wearing it back in the 60's-70's when I was a pre teen/teen - it's just there is so much maybe I'll just say vintage?
    Below is what she left me & I am - slowly - going through; I'll never know if each piece is modern, vintage or mid century, etc!! (ps - I love the look of the black & green jewelry box in 1st pic! 3rd pic is 2nd jewelry box - black - and the rest is in plastic boxes, a anne klein shoe box & a larger legal cardboard box)
    It's funny - as I look at each piece every once in a while I see one I remember & I can immediately picture my mom when she wore it!

JEWELRY A GROUP OF BOXES & JEWELRY CHESTS 2AA.JPG
    JEWELRY A GROUP OF BOXES & JEWELRY CHESTS 2AAA.JPG JEWELRY A GROUP OF BOXES & JEWELRY CHESTS 2BAA.JPG JEWELRY A GROUP OF BOXES & JEWELRY CHESTS 3AA.JPG JEWELRY A GROUP OF BOXES & JEWELRY CHESTS 4AA.JPG JEWELRY A GROUP OF BOXES & JEWELRY CHESTS 5AA.JPG

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It may just be me but earrings photographed in actual real life ears make me scroll past very quickly. Like rings on fingers or bracelets on wrists I don’t want to see body parts. I’d much rather see them on a stand or just on a neutral flattering background.

14. journeymagazine

I'm already looking for Deborah's suggested earring display!

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  15. journeymagazine

While I did put one of my mom's rings on to show how big it was & I put on one of her bracelets to show how it'd look on a wrist - I promise I AM NOT going to put any of her earrings on to show what they look like!

Figtree3, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Not just you.;)
    One thing that really freaks me out is those fake hands.:nailbiting: I skip the page and get a nice cuppa to calm me down.:hilarious:

17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I always have trouble with those earring displays, they topple over easily on me :(

You could use a cropping tool to crop out your girl friend's face. Occasionally I sell earrings that need to be shown worn, so I show them like this:
    PrNapierCrRSDnglErrWornSm.jpg

Xristina, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a criticism of your photos, just a buyers perspective of what makes me scroll past.
    Do we need to start a self help group for our phobia?:hilarious:. Agree those weirdy fingernail-less hands spook me too.:eek:

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  19. journeymagazine

No worries; I appreciate the help!

KSW likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

I think we do.:arghh:
    (dirty fingernails, another one :yuck:)

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted