Featured Mid-Century Scandinavian Design/Dania Bedroom Set (?)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JSTABUM, Oct 26, 2020.

1. JSTABUM

JSTABUM New Member

My wife lost both her parents in 10 months time. She was sole heir, and inherited their entire estate.

Looking for information/authenticity/value. :cyclops:

She vaguely remembers her parents buying this bedroom set from Scandinavian Designs in the San Jose, CA. area back in the late 60's, very early 70's.

We have an entire queen bedroom set that includes;

1) 12 drawer dresser/bureau (can post pic)
    1) 4 drawer dresser (shown)931 1/4")
    2) 3 drawer nightstands (one shown)(24 1/4")
    1) Queen headboard (can post pic)

Any information would be appreciated. Thnx!
    Dan.

20201026_121352 (3).jpg 20201026_121126 (2).jpg 20201026_121140 (2).jpg 20201026_121248 (2).jpg 20201026_121308 (2).jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Is any of this furniture labelled or signed?
    As this sort of furniture was fashionable at the time, there were lots of "Scandinavian" furniture shops that sprang up in pretty much all N.American cities that sold lookalikes, made in USA or Canada, along with the odd piece from big name makers.

pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  3. JSTABUM

JSTABUM New Member

No labels, stickers, or markings of any kind.
    It's veneer over particle board. I would assume that quality Scandinavian furniture makers would not use particle board(?) More than likely a 'knock-off' brand made in the states.

pearlsnblume, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's not Scandinavian, it's a knock off, you are correct, @JSTABUM
    It's still got a lot of style to it. I guess this to be circa late-1970s - 1980s.

pearlsnblume, KSW, Fid and 2 others like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Some Scandinavian manufacturers did use particle board on some items, like just about everyone else at the time.

antidiem, KSW, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  6. JSTABUM

JSTABUM New Member

My wife will very emotionally spit shine them, and we'll sell them locally. This bedroom set was the one thing we we're curious about. Fifty-eight years of marriage, there's a lot to go through. I have a 3 bedroom house in my 2 car garage.....and the snow's about to fly. Ugh!

Thnx!

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

teak is the stuff that kept its value and is looked for by MCM collectors.
    not wanting to hurt any feelings but with me it would directly be the dumps; no place and time for such stuff - and notoriously lazy...:)

antidiem and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

There were Scandinavian makers turning out no-name furniture for store branding in the late 70s-80s. Not the high quality stuff but stylish and affordable at the time. This would sell well in my Midwest neck of the woods. I would imagine even better in CA. Just don't expect high-end designer prices.

9. JSTABUM

JSTABUM New Member

20201027_102734[1103].jpg
    I'm going to reach out to Scandinavian Design and see if they have any design photo archives. Wife is saying mid 70's at the latest. I've been with my wife since 1979, and I can't recall my in-laws buying new bedroom furniture after that time.

Could this attached photo shed any information?

Thnx!

antidiem likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

those t-nuts were around since the 1960s and had the advantage of being capable of being filled into machines for mass-produced items.

antidiem likes this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@JSTABUM , could definitely be sixties or earlier seventies. I'm just running off of when I saw compressed wood take over the bedroom furniture market. I was completely unable to sell my own compressed wood bedroom furniture, decided it was too useful as storage to toss, and so I have just kept it, still using it in my bedroom! ;)

Mine is not MCM in style, mine is dark wood and "oriental" in style, and my biggest chest of drawers is 6 to 7 feet long. And I was completely unable to sell these in the deep south. I do believe the market for used furniture will pick up very soon, what with the fires burned so much wood down out west.

Draft saved Draft deleted