Featured Mid Century Vase - Cranberry and Clear with Etching

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 29, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies! I recently purchased this large paneled vase mainly as a learning device since I hadn't seen anything like it. The style strikes me as mid-century due to the cranberry rim fading into clear. It stands 5 3/4" tall and about 5" across the opening. I think the decoration may be a very light etching but when you run your finger over it you can barely feel the pattern. Acid perhaps? The glass has a pretty decent ring when tapped but no extended tone. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks as always!
    Don

IMG_20190729_105832773.jpg IMG_20190729_105837396.jpg IMG_20190729_110026111.jpg IMG_20190729_105952779.jpg IMG_20190729_110036016.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Acid etched Rubina Glass. Maybe a biscuit jar missing the lid, rather than a vase.

I think it is earlier than MCM.
    More like 1890s-early 1900s.
    Or I think there was one company in the Depression Era that also made a version.

Both American and English companies made it.
    @Cherryhill may know who.

3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I've thought Northwood, but with no documentation. I agree with Cluttered's dating.

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I know, but that's not documentation. I still think it's Northwood. That's what lots of other people think, too.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It was indeed a good learning experience. Thank you all for your contributions. I understand there is a strong belief it is Northwood but no firm documentation. I also need to be open to the likelihood that it originally had a lid. And it's certainly older than I had guessed. Thank you all so much for sharing your expertise.
    Don

clutteredcloset49, komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted