Middle Eastern Ceremonial Dagger Translation Help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Mario, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple of items this weekend and one of them is this dagger/knife, the blade is forged metal and the handle is non-magnetic, the handle is fastened onto the blade by 2 go through metal rivets. The writing is what I am needing more help with as to what language it is, from there at least I'll know where I can direct my research, that and it has two faces on the inside of the y section of handle. ka.jpg kb.jpg kc.jpg kd.jpg ke.jpg kh.jpg ki.jpg kk1.jpg kk1.jpg kk2.jpg kk3.jpg . Russian? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ka.jpg ka.jpg kb.jpg kb.jpg ka.jpg ka.jpg kb.jpg kc.jpg kd.jpg

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Language is Greek, I think; I can't translate it though. And looks to be souvenir-quality rather than ceremonial.
    "Greece" in Greek would be Ελλάδα, and I see something similar to that on the blade.
    There also appears to be a double-headed eagle; though this symbol is often thought of as being Russian, it is symbolic of Orthodoxy in general, and is used in several contexts by the Greek Orthodox church.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It is Greek,
    its a pity Nikos does not come here anymore otherwise he would have translated it.
    Tourist tat.

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

This item is what I’d call a modern “fantasy item.” It may be 30 years old if that. You can probably translate what’s written on it but that won’t mitigate its non-collectible fantasy status.

kyratango, judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

The writing says "freedom or death", which was a slogan used in the Greek revolution of 1821.

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

And on the other side " Long live immortal Greece!"

7. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. A cretan bichaq dagger, as to how old it is it probably is that old, mid 19th century. Thanks all around.

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned, it is a tourist/souvenir version of such a dagger, with an inscription that has been in use since 1821.
    However, in my opinion the date of manufacture would be 1950 or likely much later, based on the lack of quality in the casting. I see no reason to think it dates to anywhere in the 19th century.
    Others are of course free to disagree; I'm just saying there is no indication of any great age, and primitive workmanship is usually a sign of modern manufacture, rather than a sign of antiquity.

kyratango, Mat, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

1950 or 19th century, still not bad for 150.00

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you overpaid...IMHO..

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  11. Cool blade, even if its from 1950..thats still pretty old and should be considered collectible even if it is a tourist piece. Its not like you come across these everyday.

With that being said im a cheapskate when it comes to buyin an pickin so theres no way id drop 150 for it. If i found it somewhere for 25.00 i buy it an try to flip it for 100.

kyratango likes this.
  12. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

No, I'm selling it for 150, bought it for 20 bucks. 150 gives plenty of leeway.

13. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

AlienArtifact? check out my Mayan/Aztec jar. Looks like the indian is riding a ufo and is scared s__t__ss and the jar has indians driving it. maya.jpg maya.jpg maya2.jpg maya2.jpg

AlienArtifactZ likes this.
  14. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

and these maya9.jpg maya9.jpg maya7.jpg maya7.jpg

Attached Files:

AlienArtifactZ likes this.
  15. Nice mario! Those are sick. Lol @ the scared aztec..ancient aliens man..anal probing since 1400. Wherd u find them?

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::eek:;)

komokwa likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's a different story then....I hope U get your price...

kyratango likes this.
  18. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Doubt it and found it at a flea market. South Texas.

kyratango likes this.