Featured Mildred Shulman Painting Info - In Smithsonian?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 22, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is the 2nd painting I bought at a local thrift store yesterday (both for $80) when the manager/friend called me and said he was going by there & did I want to come look around?

I picked it because when I googled her name while at the store I saw something about her work being American art/folk art and in the Smithsonian, but I can't find it now on my laptop at home!

Can anyone yell me anything about her? The brass plate looks like the one on the first painting I got so they probably came from same home.

I was so happy to be looking through junk for treasures again even if it's not a winner after sitting at home these last few weeks it was worth the $40 to get a picker's high again!

Thanks for any info & Be Safe!

ART PAINTING SHULMAN MILDRED 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING SHULMAN MILDRED 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING SHULMAN MILDRED 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING SHULMAN MILDRED 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING SHULMAN MILDRED 4AAA.JPG

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I found some interesting information that I could actually access without a membership...but none of her work is shown to know if it's the same artist.
    https://prabook.com/web/mildred.shulman/773195
    She is listed as having worked out of Nebraska mainly, but something else said born in New Jersey. Good luck from here.

judy and Houseful like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Sold for 50.00

20200422_093753.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Journey, I think the frame on your piece is VERY interesting....looking hand carved!! I could also be wrong, but.......

judy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks Mexican.

Debora

6. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It didn’t sell. Estimate was $100-$200

judy likes this.
  7. CrisMas

CrisMas New Member

Mildred was my aunt. She was an artist in NYC. She was most known for her lucite fruit found on many coffee tables in the 1970s and one of her apples is in the Smithsonian. Mildred was able to capture light in the lucite and it looked like dancing fireflies. She was commissioned by Mayor LaGuardia to make these apples which he gave to visiting dignitaries during his term in office. She held many patents for fiber optics, lucite, as well as jewelry making. Quite an accomplishment for a woman who grew up in an orphanage. She owned a lighting store in NYC called Luminere Creations. Her lighting pieces were featured in many home show editions of New York Magazine.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'd like to kerp the frame but I'd be happy to give you her painting if you want it for the family?
    No cost except shipping & without frame it shouldn't be more than $30 - $40 (it's still on a smaller wood frame so it will have to be boxed).

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted