Military men 1919... does anyone speak French?!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Recently acquired this postcard which is covered with very faint spidery writing on the back, and since my French is poor I would appreciate some help!

It starts Cher Tien (My Dear?) and is dated 1919. Some of the men are marked in pencil and the writing describes what the marks mean. I've tried to enhance the contrast as best I can, and think it says 'I have marked with a + the friends, * the {workers?}, (apres reprillons enfant = after childish reprimands?)...' and than I'm lost! The guy at the back has an arrow above his head and I'd love to know why he's been singled out!

men postcard front copy.jpeg men postcard front cropped copy.jpeg men postcard back date.jpg men postcard back text.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As you say, the writing is faint.
    + are les amis, the friends, * les marseillais (mes meilleurs...), the ones from Marseille (my best...). If I am correct I see a mention of aïoli, a Mediterranean garlic sauce, also popular in Marseille. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part, I like aïoli.;)
    The +arrow is another mark explained on the back of the card, far right on your last picture.

Batman_2000 and judy like this.
  3. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Thank you! It's not easy to read, is it... I'll have a look through the rest of the card to see if there are other references to Marseille. There's no address on it, it's just filled with writing.

Part of it reads like a love letter, which feels very private (probably why it was kept :)).

They all look quite relaxed, and there are a few impressive moustaches around!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Arrow guy was the author of letter? Just guessing.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

My first thought too. It is referred to on the back, if anyone can figure it out we'll know for sure.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They kind of look like they're finishing a military 'mess' meal and maybe wishing they had some garlic oil on it!!!!!! At least the two guys sharing do!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::):)

Batman_2000 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

They're the ones with the aïoli, I have that same look on my face when I eat it.:happy:

Batman_2000 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted