Military or not

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Zeppelin78, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Zeppelin78

Zeppelin78 Well-Known Member

2B3C7B0A-E199-40B9-86D1-351626EF05FF.jpeg 2733BABE-1199-4846-915A-0D18BB2E02EB.jpeg 7E5324C5-2E7C-4DF0-8E3E-732C87D6376E.jpeg D8D5C4BB-24E1-41A7-B735-C5E3C7786A09.jpeg 9BEC151E-5E8E-473A-B85A-9188590EDDC0.jpeg hello all I was wondering if this buckle could be military related or just another belt buckle my reasoning for thinking military Is because of the acorns that are Present on the buckle and ideas please let me know and also if anyone can make out the Script thanks for any replies. Matt

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is this fairly hefty? My immediate, uninformed impression is not military. Kate Middleton wore acorn earrings when she married Prince William. Had to do with the coat of arms that had to be created for her family. Point is that while a wreath of oak leaves is associated with valor/victory, the motif is used elsewhere.
    [​IMG]

The 'monogram' in the center of the buckle is totally eluding me. :(

Fid, sabre123, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. Zeppelin78

Thanks for the reply bronwen That’s another direction I can look it must take a certain belt for it to attach to so maybe someone might know the type of belt and that might be another direction to look thanks again for the reply ..Matt

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I wonder if someone repurposed yours with the attached letter/symbol. It's kinda crude/not centered.

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Zeppelin78

And thank you kronos for you reply as well I see what you are saying I searched for Spanish American war acorn buckles and they have the same acorns and wreath Design thanks again for the reply ..Matt

7. Zeppelin78

They sure could have personalized it good call on the centering of that mystery symbol.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Zeppelin78

I just need to figure out that belt hook and what type of belt it would go to and I’m sure that would tell a lot about it doesn’t look like a regular person kinda belt hook But not sure

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Great find(s)! So military definitely in the running.

You're right. The device is not in keeping with the rest of it. See it attaches with 2 small pins, so not too difficult to swap out.

Jivvy likes this.
  10. Bronwen

If the finding on the left side is a hook, missing its other half.

[​IMG]

11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm guessing later reproduction than the above worthpoint link. Casting is much cruder.
    pixlr_20190821221057909.jpg

all_fakes, komokwa, patd8643 and 3 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Absolutely right. Such keen eyes you have, grandma. :)

13. Zeppelin78

If military it always seem that the castings are all so different depending on where the person had it made and by whom made it plus they are 2 totally different buckles the motif is all I’m looking at to try to compare the 2 buckles.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Zeppelin78

DB4BAF5C-A7F8-4E59-97EB-3921E5E45877.jpeg Better look at the left hook

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The other "half" was sewn into the end of the belt.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  16. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I doubt it is military mostly because of the overly-elaborate symbol or script letter. Military buckles tend to have readily-interpreted alphanumerics if any, or simple iconic images. There were probably way more lodge, band, school, etc. buckles made over time than military buckles, and if I’m right on that, the laws of probability help make my case.

Fid, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

wondering if the buckles for the Knights of the Spaghetti Monster and other fun clubs weren't made in the same factories ?

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Zeppelin78

Just want to Thank everybody for all the replies you are all great like always. Thanks again Matt.

Draft saved Draft deleted