Featured Military poster done in a sheet of brass ? anyone ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mo Bjornestad, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Mo Bjornestad

Mo Bjornestad Well-Known Member

19” by 35”
    See pictures
    looks familiar but ....I can not find it

Thanks for your thoughts

Mo IMG_8807.jpg 1.jpg unnamed.jpg 3.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

komokwa, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think the bottom part 60 AET and the helmet has something to do with the 60th anniversary of the USSR.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mo Bjornestad likes this.
  4. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Hi Mo,
    @daveydempsey is partly correct. This incuse was made for the 60th anniversary of the Red Army (later Soviet Army), that means in 1978. I do not think it is made of brass, usually such souvenir pieces are made of tin.

5. Mo Bjornestad

Hello Natasha,
    Thank you for the information - it is very helpful to know what one has purchased.

Do you know or can you point me in the right direction to learn more about the symbols in the sky? - They must be important to be included.

Also the design seems more artful than most of the paper prints I have surveyed trying to find this one. Were these works State or Army controlled vs maybe coming from a university or from a solicitation?

I will check again for brass - I'll scrape a little off the folded over backside to see what that looks like.

Best,
    Mo

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Mo Bjornestad

Natasha,
    See new image - it does look like it is brass.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Historic looking horse riders among the stars. Could there be a story about celestial warriors? Support from ancient warriors for the soldiers of the Red Army? Or just a link with history.

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I was thinking similar, stars and Cossacks and those two long things look like space rockets.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Another thought is a connection with the Soviet space program, the rockets were (and are) launched from Kazakhstan.
    Kazakh warrior with scimitar, like the star riders, he is also wearing similar boots:
    [​IMG]
    Also from Kazakhstan, with spiked helmet with chainmail 'aventail' (neck protection) like the horseman on the right:
    [​IMG]

daveydempsey likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I think the top depicts a cavalry charge by Russian troops. The bottle-top style hat/helmet was worn up till at least WW1. The star thing at top is a shell bursting over the charging cavalry. Foreground are guided missiles and a parabolic radar antenna probably part of the missile fire control gear. All I can think is that this is to show how the Soviet Army has modernized over the previous 60 years. The medium is interesting, it certainly has the look of a thin sheet of brass rubbed over a relief template, similar to the old Coppercraft kits I used to get as Xmas presents. I’m guessing this one was either a one-off, or a press with usual two-part die was used to reproduce it. I do like it, if you put it up for sale let me know.

kentworld likes this.
  11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

This just occurred to me...Kazakh = Cossack? Probably something very obvious...:oops:

12. Any Jewelry

It is confusing, but they are actually two different groups. The Cossacks are European Slavic people who live in Ukraine and SW Russia. The Kazakhs are Asian people who live in several Central Asian republics, notably Kazakhstan.

It is even more confusing in Dutch: Kozakken and Kazakken. One vodka and they become one big muddle.:wacky:

13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

131A844D-372D-4B46-8EF1-863A47A42816.jpeg

Soviet SA-3 AA Guided Missile system and part of its radar

0E4E5B16-AF05-4367-8C3C-5B7F2897A679.jpeg

Possible inspirations for the artist.

Some astute reader will notice the palm trees and different paint color on truck. This was only described as a system captured by USA. My guess is that the pic was taken in Iraq, a former ally of USSR.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  15. springfld.arsenal

Or maybe this radar, also goes with SA-3 missile.

9E96A1D2-0D80-4860-A806-281933EEF677.jpeg

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted