MILITARY? Wings & Rope Pin NO Marks Looks Sterling

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by bennett, Dec 9, 2014.

1. bennett

bennett New Member

I found this pin mixed in with some nice WWII USAF wings, but it does not look like any US wings I could find out there, which makes me suspect a foreign Marine service. The pin looks very much like it is made of sterling silver, but there are absolutely no marks. The pin is small at 1 3/4" long by 1" wide.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Navy aviator sweetheart piece? That's what it looks like to me. Early on they made that jewelry out of sterling because it wasn't a war metal.

3. bennett

bennett New Member

I considered that, but the sweetheart pins I found in my searches seem to include a heart in the decoration. Of course it could still be a sweetheart piece. Just seeing if anyone recognized it. I am a real novice in the area of military medals, but I've had some successes that make me want to try! Thanks for the input!

4. evelyb30

The heart isn't necessary; some sweetheart pieces were miniature replicas of military insignia, or larger versions.

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I have pored over every site I can find (including a Google Image search), but I haven't been able to find one like it.
    It's driving me mad.

6. evelyb30

It could be a post-War fantasy piece too. There was a lot of fake heraldic and the like jewelry made in the 50s.

7. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Oh, sure . . . make it even harder. :hilarious::hilarious:

8. bennett

bennett New Member

I appreciate all the friendly input! The retro-style down-swept wings are an interesting and distinctive feature. The details are pretty good on the feathers and the pretzel twisted rope with tassel ends, and it seems like a production piece of decent quality. The dark patina (lightened by the flash) seems to point to it having some age, which does not rule out a '50's date of creation, but an irrational gut-feeling tells me it is probably older than that. I searched long and hard to no avail before I brought the question here. Hey, if everything was easy we would always be bored! Thanks again for all the help! :)

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

With the handle on either end, I wonder if that's meant to be a skipping rope.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The more I look at it, it looks like stripped BX electrical cable with wings.
    greg

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Ditto for me too. I haven't found anything even close except with an anchor included. There are a myriad of symbols/emblems/medals/pins/etc... out there with wings, rope/cord and *anchor.*

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bill.jpg

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks like a shoelace to me.

14. bennett

bennett New Member

I'm thinking more like "Fourragere". I don't think I've seen shoelaces as a decorative element... :)

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted