Featured Milk glass? Portrait vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Picked this up yesterday. I've no experience of milk glass but I think it could be that. It has a German feel about it. It stands at 36cm tall. There is also a mark on the base. I haven't a clue what it is..

IMG20231209112551_copy_1152x1537.jpg IMG_20231209_123447_copy_1427x1903.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The person depicted may be based on actress Mary Anderson (1859-1940) in one of her classical or Shakespearean theatrical roles. I have not seen that exact hairstyle or pose, but really, she was one of the most photographed and depicted actresses in the 19th century. (Same actress as in my current avatar photo here.)

This doesn't really help in identifying the maker of your item, since there were so many depictions of her that she was known all over Europe. Some more photos of her in this article.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anderson_(actress,_born_1859)

3. Chinoiserie

Thanks for the info. And yes it will be helpful identifying I think. I found a matching pair the same in Google image search results. But when I click on the search result it takes me to a completely different thing.

Figtree3, stracci and Bronwen like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Here's the image of the pair on-line. No information to share from that site.
    Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 9.18.55 AM.png

5. Roaring20s

Close for this type of representation, but I'm on the fence ...
    Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 9.38.17 AM.png

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not the same face. Neither image on the vases is Mary Anderson imo.

7. Roaring20s

Here's the other ...
    Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 9.48.05 AM.png

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Is this smudge anything? 890B0D34-64B9-4439-B366-75157354537B.jpeg

9. Chinoiserie

Just a smeary smudge. Nothing significant. Thanks

10. Chinoiserie

Conk, chin and eyebrows are very similar.

11. Chinoiserie

I couldnt even get on the site.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Piece work mark.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  13. Chinoiserie

Out of interest I shone my UV light in it and it glows green. Uranium glass perhaps?

IMG20231209191737_copy_1305x1741.jpg

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks it to me.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  15. Chinoiserie

Yes it certainly kicks the green light out under UV. This is it with a normal white LED torch.

IMG20231209191743_copy_1213x1618.jpg

16. Figtree3

I said "based on" -- didn't mean an exact copy. Guess I should have been clearer. Unless the exact hairstyle and pose were found, one doesn't know.

Classical dress was a big thing in 19th-century theatre, and also in early 20th century. I have dozens of photos of women wearing such clothing. Some not actresses, either.

Anyway, I've convinced myself now that it's probably not based on her. In her youth she almost never wore her hair without bangs or fringe in the front. There is a little bit on that on the vase, but not much. In the 20th century she seems to have given up wearing bangs, but she retired from the stage in 1889 and only infrequently came back to do a performance or a reading... mostly for charity benefits.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    komokwa, Chinoiserie and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I should also have been clearer, I meant her facial features, they look different to me.
    I always look at the facial features, because hair and clothing can be altered to suit an ideal. And actresses look a part, which can be any part. Socialites also dressed up sometimes.
    Yes, I read about her breakdown. That is so sad, especially because she was clearly talented. But even during that period, talent was not enough. You have to be able to cope with everything that comes with a career like that, also the harsh critiques and backstabbing.

Figtree3, komokwa and Chinoiserie like this.
  18. Figtree3

True -- It sounds as if her later married life with children was good for her overall, though. And she lived more than 50 years in semi retirement.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

this vase is probably Austrian - it is very typical of their wares - it is influenced by teplitz / amphora / stellmacher pottery/porcelain wares of the same region

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted