Featured Milk Glass Vase with mark from France

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rastella, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Rastella

Rastella Everything is figureoutable.

I think this is milk glass but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm having trouble identifying the mark. Says France but there's also another word over the mark and I can't capture it. The mark is etched and embedded in the glass because the glass is smooth on both sides of the vase except for the pontil mark on the bottom. Also I think the brown showing inside the vase is an iron tool mark, right? The bottom isn't blue, it's just very see through but the entire vase has a blue hue. Thanks for any help!
    20180224_173743.jpg 20180224_173651.jpg 20180224_163847.jpg 15195166759121499833889.jpg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Looks like opaline glass to me - which is similar, but distinct from milk glass (to the best of my limited knowledge). Very pretty!

3. Rastella

I didn't even think about opaline. I'm not familiar enough with it. Thank you!

judy likes this.
  4. aaroncab

It's a very pretty vase - the blue and pinkish hues when in direct light are indicative of it being opaline. It's an acid etched mark - I'm seeing if I can bring out the detail in it.

judy, komokwa and Rastella like this.
  5. aaroncab

Here's the best I could do with the mark - looks like the words on the other side are probably just "made in". Someone here will probably recognize the mark and know the maker.

~

20180224_173651dev.jpg

Rastella likes this.
  6. Rastella

Thank you so much! Yes, definitely opaline.

judy likes this.
  7. Rastella

Can I throw out an idea about the mark? Looks very German to me (not sure why so I could be way off), so when I made out the word France, kind of threw me off. But then I remembered the German occupation and I think Hitler made them mark everything with German military marks. The one tiny mark looks like a German merit badge. But just a thought.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

9. Rastella

kyratango and judy like this.
  10. Rastella

So now that Servres established, does a pontil mark indicate that it's an older one? What do people think about age?

judy likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A lovely vase, Rastella.
    Don't worry, he didn't. There is nothing Nazi about the mark, thankfully.

12. Rastella

Yep, thankfully!!

So I just read that if you hold it up to the light and there's an orange tint, then that indicates there is bone in it which makes it an older one. That was on an eBay description. Can anyone confirm?

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I can confirm that it's utter nonsense. ;)

SBSVC, dgbjwc, George Nesmith and 2 others like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi, I agree with Ownedbybear
    gif (2).jpg

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Starting about the time of WWI any/all imports had to be marked with "Made in" and the country, (spelled in English). Opalescent glass, which this is, is made so with the addition of "bone ash". That's a chemical made from burning bones in a controlled atmosphere.

16. Rastella

Yes but it doesn't say "made in." Say-it-slowly found the mark and it says "Sevres." Im looking to see when they quit using bone ash. Thanks!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Here is some info on opalescent glass, and the different chemical compositions used in manufacture. It also says something about bone ash, but I'm not certain it was used in this case. You'd better read it yourself, my reading skills are not up to scratch at the moment:
    http://www.theglassmuseum.com/opalesc.htm

pearlsnblume and Rastella like this.
  18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here is some info in a discussion about another Sevres opaline piece. Not being a glass person....I can't really offer an opinion on yours but it's interest reading and the mark, when they post it later in the discussion, appears to be the same but someone else will probably know better.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21164.msg119576.html#msg119576

Part of the discussion concerning the mark on the piece from that forum for anyone not wanting to click the link. Seems confusing to me and have no idea if correct or not.

The company signing Sevres is actually

Landier & Sons (with Cristalleries De Seves as a kinda add on name)

As I understand it, and it gets very complicated, their relationship with Choisy-le-Roi wasn't the usual one - in the 30s Choisy-le-rois made clear and opalescent glass for lots of people eg A Hunebelle and Etling. After the war Sevres bought out Choisey-le-roi (moulds and all) and hence you see some 30s patterns from say Etling appearing in the 40s and 50s with Sevres signatures. The place was then being run by the ubiquitous Pierre D'Avesn (ex Rene Lalique and Daum Employee)

So your piece is almost certainly post 1945 and could have originated from any one of the dozens of opalescent glass designers from before the war that used Choisey-le-roi as glass maker -not sure which though -its not a pattern I recognise from the more famous ones.

Any Jewelry and Rastella like this.
  19. Rastella

Very interesting, Any Jewelry. Thank you! I'm going to get my better camera and take some pictures in the light as described in the first article. About the mark, the second article refers to a two layer process used by certain companies. As aaroncab described for me, it is an etched mark. The mark on mine has to be inside the glass because the glass is very smooth from both sides and it is very difficult to see. I bought it from Goodwill for $6 because I thought it was a good piece of milk glass. I guarantee you that if they had seen that mark, it would not have been on the floor for $6, lol. I'm quite friendly with the manager there and know how they operate. It wasn't until I was looking through a loupe under light at what I thought was a pontil mark and rust from an iron tool that I spotted a faint glimpse of the Sevres mark. That's why I can't get a good picture of it like the sample Say-it-slowly found for me. Now, I'm not so sure that's a pontil mark at all as it isn't lining up in with the way a pontil mark should look. As far as the "rust" goes, now that I know what it is, I'm more inclined to think that is bone ash that pooled at the bottom of the vase. If I keep looking, I may find out who's technique left a "spider-web" like mark on the base. Again, great links, Any Jewelry, and I can always trust your advice! Thank you so much!

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Pleasure as always, Rastella.
    Not too sure about that, I can be in a muddle at times.:confused: But that's why it is so good to have a forum, there is usually someone to put me straight if that happens.:)

Rastella likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted