Featured Milk jugs, both American?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aec1985, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Aec1985

Aec1985 Member

My parents gave me these two I liked, which they got from an auction. Does anyone have any any info on value or just info in general like age, were they were made etc. I think maybe the blue-white jug is depicting a Mexican scene?

One is I believe an original Tom's cabin jug from the 19th century? Same as the one being sold here-
    4525a.jpg

When I got it I noticed it had been painted over with a really bad paint job, I've been removing it and see the was a large crack/repair job underneath the paint. However the rest of the jug seems in good condition IMG_20171105_184003.jpg IMG_20171105_183927.jpg IMG_20171105_184203.jpg IMG_20171105_184114.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    pearlsnblume, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

The top one looks more Missionary style than Mexican, close but no cigar. :D Is there a hallmark in the circle on the bottom? If there is, can you take a closeup of it? I know nothing about the bottom one at all. In fact I know nothing about the top one either, my guess MIJ in the 1940-60's era. Please show the bottom of the brown one, there's many knowledgeable ppl here but will need more information. Welcome to the forum. ~Cheers!

3. Aec1985

Aec1985 Member

IMG_20171105_193543.jpg There didn't appear to be any makers marks on either jug, here's the bottom anyway

judy likes this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Teal transferware is uncommon. Those could be Spanish peasants rather than Mexican. Are the images on both sides the same?

judy and Aec1985 like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

With the damage on the Uncle Tom pitcher, I think the transferware one is probably worth more.

judy and Aec1985 like this.
  6. Aec1985

Aec1985 Member

Yes both images are the same on each side of the blue-white one. Do you have any idea of the rough dating of that one, i was thinking roughly mid 1800s?? And why is transferware rare?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    judy likes this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Being from California, my first reaction was one of the California Missions.

Bottom doesn't look like the typical English stoneware.

I think you are correct in placing the date for both in the late 1800s, maybe even early 1900

judy and cxgirl like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Bev wasn't saying that transferware is rare but rather that TEAL transferware is rare. Usually it's found in blue, red, or mulberry. It's possible the teal pitcher is American. There were a lot of potteries in New Jersey in the 1800's whose ware is not very well documented. It's a fascinating decoration.
    Don

clutteredcloset49, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I looked through some references I have on transferware, Snyder's Romantic Staffordshire and Coysh/Henrywood 2 volumes of Dictionary of Blue and White without seeing this transferware pattern. It doesn't mean it isn't mentioned but as the listings in Coysh/Henrywood are by pattern name and many patterns have no photo, it's a tough slog to try to research those so I only looked at pics:oops:.

If the transferware pattern is actually rare and sought after, that would be great. However.....the subject of the other, slavery, is or was in demand. It's hard to say how much the damage would affect the price or if the demand is what it once was. I did a quick look through my yellowware book without seeing it but it's not a great book. Huh.....now I'm wondering if I have another yellowware book. I guess I'll have to go look.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted