Featured Miniature Flags Smell

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by cxgirl, Jun 7, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    The flags are some kind of material so this seemed like a good place to ask. There is about 60 or so of these little flags, they were in a plastic bag and they have a bad smell. I've had them outside for a week or so and the smell is still there, sort of a musty smell. Any ideas on how to remove the smell?
    I suspect these are souvenirs from a Royal Visit, this flag was in use from 1922-57, maybe from tables decorations?
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF3045.jpg DSCF3044.jpg

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I never tried this, but I wonder if baking soda would do the trick?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've read that kitty litter will do the trick.

Debora

Figtree3, Fid, Christmasjoy and 5 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I've had to ask about musty bits before (on the old ebay boards). Mine was ribbon.

Lots of suggestions, lots of attempts. Nothing got rid of it entirely, but simple "airing out" worked best for me (I had tons of stuff to experiment with, it had been a stinky damp estate sale).

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

You can try Zorbex...test on an inconspicuous area before nuking the whole lot.

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

8. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

i need help, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could the plastic beads on the top be causing the smell.?

i need help, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I had good luck with putting it into a plastic bag between dryer sheets, like Downy or Snuggle. I left it for two weeks, changed the sheets and then forgot to check. It sat for more than a month. When I finally remembered, the smell was completely gone.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Have not mentioned an Ozone machine in a year or so ago. It is a really handy thing to have to quickly get rid of odors and musty smells. The last thing I used it on was a used new car. The former owner used to smoke cigars and cigarettes. Even with air freshers the smells returned. 12 hours hooked up to the Ozone machine the smells were GONE.
    greg

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

they are made of wood:)

i need help, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for the tips folks, will update as to whether the dew and sun works or not:)

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cat litter really does work. You need the Fullers Earth kind.

i need help likes this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

well the dew and sun has worked, the musty smell has gone:) thanks for posting that tip INH, it worked for these little flags:)

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Glad to hear it. I figured quilt people would know. Some of those older quilts get musty. :)

Jivvy and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted