Featured Miniature Framed Greek Style Mask 2" x 1 1/4" Porcelain Gilded Metal Coral

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by George Chaney, Mar 11, 2021.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

So, never saw one of these before, frankly, feel like I over paid for it at about 90 bucks but was so curious and thought it was just very unusual.

Hand painted. I believe porcelain. I initially thought maybe chinese with the gilded pierced mounting and two prong set cabochon natural coral bits. However, could be italy I suppose. I actually thought this might be a pendant of brooch mounted in a gilded frame - why I purchased it - but now I am not so certain. I don't believe any of it is precious metal - i.e. gilded over silver or solid gold. I am trying to avoid taking it out of the frame for further research.

Measures about 2" high and about 1 1/4" wide. Metal, some type of ceramic, looks hand painted, but...eh...not my area even close to having knowledge in. Could be more modern. High quality gilded frame which has fill in any imperfections to make the wood smooth. I don't see any markings on this bit.

Thoughts on what this might be? Value suggestions - for retail purposes (if allowed as part of the post) :)

Thanks mucho for all of you comments. Just an FYI, I am posting this just before heading out of town to the mountains so after 5pm I won't be able to respond back until Monday :) IMG_3092_shrink.jpg
    IMG_3093_shrink.jpg
    IMG_3097_shrink.jpg
    IMG_3098_shrink.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That;s an interesting little critter.......does the mask move to reveal the gems underneath?

3. George Chaney

I thought of that as well once I discovered the second mounted coral bit deeper in...but I did not see any way to move it and didn't want to force it. There is certainly enough room it appears for even a 3rd one as well.

komokwa likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help much but I think it must be fairly recent based on the hanging hardware. Old pieces I don't think would have hardware like that?

George Chaney likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT is FASCINATING, SPOOKY, EERIE, INTERESTING and about a dozen other questions in my head!!!!! Methinks there’s more to that than meets the eye.....or lack thereof!!!:happy::):)
    Maybe you just haven’t touched it yet, but it does look like something will trigger an action.....!!!!!!!!!!

The paper on the back looks new too!!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    George Chaney likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just wondering if what I’ve circled in red at the bottom might be an ‘area of interest’ to check out if you haven’t already???

44DE219E-2094-44B5-9FBA-F3C9C1470CB7.jpeg

mmarco102 likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

check along the sides and top to see if there is any sign of a hinge. It's very strange that it has that hand on one side. That might be a clue.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  8. George Chaney

It is indeed fascinating. I will look a little closer to see if there is something that will trigger an unexpected action and report back :)

9. George Chaney

I thought the frame and paper back were more recent as well. I have some of my more favorite pieces that I have for sale individually framed and hanging on the walls around the house as art. That was probably one more subconscious reasons I gave myself to justify buying it....wishful thinking that there is another "framer" out their.....lol

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The way the metal holds the masks temples ...suggests to me that the blue part , should tilt upwards ...to reveal the gems underneath...

it may have become stuck over time.....so it no longer moves with a gentle lift...
    but that's what I'm seeing.

Draft saved Draft deleted