Miniature Help please. 14 letter surname?!?

Discussion in 'Art' started by jsnggltt, Sep 2, 2019.

1. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

I'm hoping someone recognizes the signature on this miniature Persian Cat portrait, as the potential search options are dizzying :wideyed:
    IMG_6120.jpeg IMG_6117.jpeg IMG_6115.jpeg Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 9.07.53 AM.jpeg

This appears to be a lithograph and is 1.3" Wide x 2" Tall

I read the first name as Meia and the surname as an optical illusion :wacky:

Gliudiloarcere???

My hope is that one of you has come across this name before because with the possible variations in a name that long my normal cross checks are not going to work :dead:

I didn't include pictures of the frame as it is a standard 4"x6" faux antique likely purchased at the local Target.

Thank you,

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last name Hückelbaum?

Christmasjoy, jsnggltt and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Never mind what I originally wrote here, see my next post.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  4. Figtree3

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't know how you got there, Fig, but Meta (and her strange last name) sure look correct!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Great thoughts!!! Siggys look different though!! But love the cats!!! That's not to say as she got better or more professional, her signature WOULDN'T have changed!!! Does anyone belong to 'Invaluable' to see what it sold for??

ZZZZZZ H0027-L09403289.jpg
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. jsnggltt

Agreed! Not sure how you got there but nice work Fig! The signatures don’t seem to match but it’s a great lead.

8. Figtree3

Well, people's sigs can change a bit. But I know what you mean.

The way I got there was searching for the words Meia artist print

That led to a page saying there was a print signed by Meia Gluckebaum. I had put that in the post that I erased... the link is here:
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10731654_751-a-print-of-scottie-dogs-signed-by-meia-gluckebaum

That was really the only result with that name and Google suggested Meta Plückebaum also (Did you mean?) . So I clicked on that...

BTW, there is an eBay thread from 2017 about this artist, with the same ideas being mentioned here.
    https://community.ebay.com/t5/Colle...-name-of-artist-on-an-old-print/td-p/27360826

Maybe you could investigate whether there were really two artists with similar names? But the style is so similar and the sigs are not really that different, imo...

By the way, on first sight I also thought the last name looked like Gliudiloarcere!

Bronwen and jsnggltt like this.
  9. jsnggltt

Appears it did indeed change:
    D1710BC4-4606-4EF7-9ADA-024A5B1864A1.png

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think the sigs are different because of paint/print and possibly time.

She has a particular "b" (stroke pattern).

temp01.jpg

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

12. Bronwen

And one is printed, the other cursive. Surprised the capital Ms are so different when used in the signature.

KikoBlueEyes and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Bronwen

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Some peoples name change over the years in signage. I am one of the 3 percent of the population whose signature is NEVER the same. I remember once having a new account question me on lots of checks since they all looked forged.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

15. Bronwen

She was pretty good with children, who probably sat still about as well as kittens.

[​IMG]

16. Bronwen

A bank clerk questioned something I signed & I explained, A) I have a tremor that is sometimes better, sometimes worse & B) one of the things handwriting experts look for when examining a signature for purposes of authentication is whether it is too perfect a match for another known example.

17. Figtree3

She had a good way of showing how things would look if they actually did hold still. :)

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Same here. I actually had to go by the bank and hand in a couple of my signatures.:facepalm: I had polio as a child, so no consistency in my handwriting at all.

19. Figtree3

Oh, and I just remembered how small this print is! 2 inches tall. So perhaps that also had something to do with the way the signature looks? Or could it have been miniaturized from an original?

20. Bronwen

Think this is likelier. There are other examples of her signature not significantly different.

KikoBlueEyes and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted