Miniature pottery vase - something or headed for the thrift shop donation box?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Mar 29, 2017.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I thought I would run this one past the pottery gurus before tossing it into the thrift shop donation box. It is not marked. It is 2 1/2" tall. All of the design is under glaze.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss:

Batman_2000 and aaroncab like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Might be old Chinese.
    Wait for others.

3. bercrystal

Might be old Chinese.
    Wait for others.

That is why I decided to check with others more knowledgeable than I when it comes to pottery items. ;):happy:

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think it is old,and I think its Chinese too,but I also think theres a zillion of these out there!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

worth keeping.....

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

now THAT i a piece i would buy - even though i would have to go without dinner for one day to do it..............lovely.........

komokwa likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Some of these are English. This might be - it's a little unguent pot, maybe early 19th C. You find them on the Thames foreshore.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with Obb, looks like antique European, generic 'Delft'.
    I don't know anything about antique American pottery (got a bit lost after pre-Columbian;)), but why not?
    It would go nicely with Mansons blue and white collection.

komokwa likes this.
  9. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Owned: are there still mudlarks?

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Absolutely there are! You have to buy a licence, but it's a big Thing in London.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I love your pot.
    greg

12. silverthwaite II

oh...

No scraped bony knees, blue toes, ragged pants? No uncut hair, staged pants? No ten-year-old wishes and dreams...?

Perhaps I have erred in my era... Sigh...

Ladybranch and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  13. silverthwaite II

"Stagged" pants. My status, along with not permitting me to read any private messages, click on LIKE!!, or initiate a question, will also not allow me to correct typing. :( :rage:

I DO know the difference between discreet and discrete, Really, I DO! Being an English major wasn't good for much, but that, and having had "small Greek and some Latin," enables me (usually) to spell correctly.

(Aside from an error pointed out to me when we were all on eBay, about ten years ago, and it was a word I (apparently) had NEVER spelt correctly, and it was so stupid that there is no emoticon equal to the task of conveying my humiliation!!!!!)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  14. Mansons2005

Please - don't take that to heart - being here in the USA I have always pronounced the word "aluminum"......though for about 6 decades I have been spelling it aluminium...........talk about culturally confused..............

and in my haste and failing memory I find that I confuse and misuse MANY homonyms these days...............

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yep - Me Too!
    I also find that I often spell phonetically, when I never did before. Those, I usually catch and can edit.

However, I do wish the edit button lasted longer than a day. I often reread what I wrote and see all kinds of misspellings.

There is one right now that irritates me that I didn't catch. Whose, instead of who's.

Do you really think that looks like an English bottom?

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  16. Mansons2005

Another line I am going to let slip by so I can uphold my vow to avoid vulgarity.............

17. bercrystal

This has been one hectic day!! :p:p:p

Thank you to everyone for all of the information. I had never heard of this type of item. I need to do some research on this one for sure.

Mason - if I decide someday to throw it in a box I promise to address it to you rather than haul it off to a thrift shop. :happy::happy::happy::kiss::kiss:

18. Mansons2005

:kiss::):kiss::joyful::)

bercrystal and Joshua Brown like this.
  19. silverthwaite II

Mansons: Re: "aluminium vs aluminum. Here's the thing: for no reason I can explain (except, perhaps that I am an Anglophile -- which in this case makes no sense), the WORD aluMINium sounds more like the actual thing than "aLUminum."

Odd...

Joshua Brown likes this.
  20. Mansons2005

NAOAI!!!

Not as odd as I!!!

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted