Featured Miniature watercolour painting, Willard M. Mitchell

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mansons2005, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have this miniature painting by Willard M. Mitchell. It measures approx. 3" by 4", has a hand carved wood frame and is glazed.

I can find the information on the artist and his work, but I am interested on other members opinions regarding the damage in the reverse. It appears to have been repaired with clear tape and that has "messed up" some of the illumination. That and a small water spot on the back are the only signs of damage. The painting itself has been well protected due to the glass, and I do not think the colours have really faded beyond "normal" watercolour fading (as in no sun damage, etc.).

Since pricing and sales for these works are all over the scale, I wish to know what you think the damage does to an asking price (I sell fixed price with Best Offer, and there is no urgency to sell). I no longer trust solely my own judgement regarding these things, so any advice regarding pricing against recorded prices and then considering the damage would be most welcome.

Thanks!!

MVC-373S.JPG

MVC-374S.JPG

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think the tape or water damage hurts much at all being confined to the back. The tape can easily be removed if you know what you are doing using alcohol. A bit problematic since alcohol could seep to the painting. Would probably need to remove the backing before removing the tape and that would be even trickier. I would probably just leave well enough alone.

As to value, I don't know what one seeks in buying such works. Would think subject matter foremost but whether a pure landscape such as yours or something with buildings and people is more valuable. You will need to somehow make that determination yourself.

Joshua Brown and Mansons2005 like this.
  3. Mansons2005

Thanks Brad. All of his work that I have located has been landscapes such as this. As a matter of fact, they all look the same at a quick glance! Pricing/sales have been all over. From $50 to $300. Since time is not an issue, I guess I'll list it at $250 to start and see who salutes...........I can mark it down progressively until I get some interest.

I will leave it as is and not attempt to remove the tape.

"LQQK! Includes RARE, genuine ANTIQUE Scotch Tape, from the second roll ever produced! Total of 4 (FOUR) pieces! HTF!"

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

5. Mansons2005

Thanks!
    I saw it in passing. I no longer sell on eBay, so to be honest I sort of ignore unsold listings, as well as many sold ones. These days I look more to auction houses or other venues and base my "opening" fixed price (with best offer) on their successful sales. Since it costs me nothing to list an item on Bonanza, I can let it sit until I get interest, or down my pricing periodically if there is no interest depending on the traffic/views.

judy likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

SOMEWHERE in the mess that is my dollhouse room I have a watercolor about this size of a lighthouse on a cliff,so now I have to go dig it out and see who did it . :) I sorta shocked at the prices these bring,who woulda thought ???

judy likes this.
  7. Mansons2005

Giggling here! That's where I found this one! In a box of miniature treasures that I have been collecting for over 40 years. I am finally (FINALLY) getting around to building the harf-arsed replica of my grandparent's townhouse in NYC..................physical building going slow, but approaching the point where I have to consider the contents...............

PS Johnny - I have seen photos of your mini, but can't remember much of it now. If you are looking for a source for some "oriental" rugs, nicely made, to scale and CHEAP, but good quality let me know. I ordered a few last well, they arrived this morning.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Beautiful place.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thanks for thinking of me Mansons,send me some pics! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted