Featured Minton Ceramic Plaque hand painted, who is the signature?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hi everyone!

Saw this at an auction today. I didn't take it out of the frame but the auction must have to ascertain that it was minton.

Do you recognise the signature, I've attempted to take it from a few angles and lights and those three are the clearest, it was very small. The auction didn't mention the signature. They wouldn't have likely mentioned other marks on the back so I'm assuming only a Minton mark was present.

Thanks for any help

IMG_20190812_161627.jpg IMG_20190812_161600.jpg IMG_20190812_161544.jpg IMG_20190812_161534.jpg

2. paul rosplock

paul rosplock Member

Hi again that looks like toleware and the signature looks like H.J Mitchell he did lithos in the 19th century

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The woodwork frame appears to be mid to late 1800s.

4. Cream Puff

Cream Puff Member

That is lovely. I'm envious!

scoutshouse and paul rosplock like this.
  5. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Henry Mitchell! Thanks for seeing the Mitchell, definately needed some fresh eyes.
    It H and a little y same as when you see W little M for William! Yes! I'll G on for it now see if I can nab it at a reasonable price on Monday haha. It'll definately be a keeper

He painted a lot of landseer scenes for minton so it's likely this may be some other artists work reproduced extremely well here, always mor ehunting to do!

6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Good luck with your sleeper!

Love :)

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks as if he was influenced by Caspar David Friedrich. ruin of Eldena a.o..

8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I think I can see the date 1875 after the siggie.

Draft saved Draft deleted