Mintons date? cleaning?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by smallaxe, Apr 20, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The note with this piece is that it was owned by my wife's great grandmother. She was born 1878. I was hoping someone could date this. I looked up the mark and have a general range, but the folks here seem really good at knowing more than what's found online, and narrowing dates down further. I also wondered what this kind of thing is called. It looks hand painted to me. Does it to you? My last question is how do I safely clean this, as it's pretty grungy?

20200420_101436s.jpg scan-08s.jpg scan-09s.jpg

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Trinket box. Washing up liquid and warm water.

Christmasjoy, smallaxe and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was thinking something used on a vanity. Looks in great condition. Agree on OBB's cleaning recommendation.

4. Ownedbybear

Yup, I suspect part of a dressing table set.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was more familiar with the Gilman Collamore name. Turns out Davis was his brother.
    The Minton mark appears to be 1873-1912. Davis died in 1887.

Davis Collamore would have commissioned this from Minton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_Collamore_&_Co.

Edited to take out incorrect info.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    PortableTreasures and smallaxe like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Does it have any impressed marks? Minton has a date code mark impressed on some items. They also added England after 1891 so looks a bit like it might be the 1891-1912 version of the mark, see what you think if you haven't looked at this site already.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/m/minton.html

smallaxe likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Dresser Jar

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hmm forgot that tidbit
    So disregard my comment about the earlier dating.
    Sorry.

9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I've looked very hard for an impressed mark, but cannot find a hint of one. The two date ranges given above were what I had found, and why I'm curious of the date. One range makes it likely one generation further back, but the '91-'12 would fit the story. She married in 1899, so a likely purchase date would fit right in there.

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The pattern G8624 was also used on dinnerware. Replacements doesn't have any, but they have a couple of pieces with blue G8607.

smallaxe likes this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's the gold that will be most fragile.

12. Ownedbybear

Yup, but something like Fairy Liquid won't hurt it. When these were made, cleaning materials were far more abrasive.

Draft saved Draft deleted