Miro HC etching aquatint

Discussion in 'Art' started by Ramyick, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

recently acquired this signed and numbered Joan Miro HC etching. Trying to have it appraised/authenticated. This is proving difficult. Any insight as to value if authentic?

Attached Files:

2. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

Signature

Attached Files:

3. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

Number

Attached Files:

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

You can put all your pictures in one post if you like. It's helpful to make them "full image" just for our convenience.
    I couldn't find that exact example, but in any event...
    Her works are so valuable, and surely have inspired fakes due to their rather 'imitatable' style, I would figure. A reputable professional appraiser is the way to go, in my opinion.
    Good luck!

EDIT
    The signature looks similar to authenticated ones.
    Example... http://www.icollector.com/JOAN-MIRO-H-Signed-Colour-Etching-Spanish-1918_i9300905

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Gila,
    Joan is a man's name in this case.:eek:
    greg

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

7. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

This one from same series "hammer without a master" sold for $3,000. I assume it would hold a similar value.

Attached Files:

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Almost all of Miró's work found about, like that of Picasso and Dalí, is -- putting it bluntly -- fake. I would be very cautious. (Joan is Catalan for Juan.)

Debora

9. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

I already purchased it. I'm aware it could be a fake. Honestly, I only paid what I was willing to gamble.

10. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

One of my favorite artists, but no way to tell with those pics. Chances are against an original, but worth pursuing.

The big auction houses usually won't comment on anything under $10,000 value.

A few things I've been told over the years conflict with other experts claims. Two of those are - 1. Miro never hand signed ON the litho, always on the matting. 2. Most of his limited editions were about 90 to 110. Probable.

One thing I don't remember seeing is such as HC before the 18 of 25. Check that further.

11. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

12. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

13. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

"Hors commerce" is what your HC stands for

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know that hors commerce precludes it being original. It means that it's outside the planned numbered edition and not meant for sale, but does that mean it's not original?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  15. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Just go on Google and type in "Hors commerce" everything I found said the same thing. It states that if you have a piece of art limited edition and if there is an HC infront of however many they made its a gallery sample. It's just a sample used by galleries to show you what the original looks like. Unfortunately not worth much.

16. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

So pretty much a copy of the original work

17. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

The liveauctioneers auction says you're incorrect.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's not the way I'm reading it. I've found reference not only to gallery samples, but also to gifted prints. Those would be original. And why go through the effort of generating a reproduction when you can take a sample of the print run that's going ahead anyhow and mark it not for sale? If a gallery owner wants to show something to a prospective buyer, that buyer will want to see what they can expect to purchase - not a reproduction of it. The question becomes: if hors commerce prints are out there and original, what happens to them after the production run is complete? Should it have been destroyed?

It's a bit like copies of a new book being distributed to critics for preview before the commercial run hits the shelves. Those books are clearly marked "preview copy" and "not for sale" but they end up on the market anyhow.

19. Ramyick

Ramyick New Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure rink doesn't know what he's talking about.

20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Obviously the thing to do is to find someone who is familiar with Miro prints and get their opinion. I don't know with certainty that rink28 is wrong (if I did, I would say so) but I suspect he may be. I don't remember ever having a print labelled HC.

Draft saved Draft deleted