Misbaha -- from where/when?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Hamburger, May 14, 2021.

1. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

I included this misbaha (tasbeh/tespih) in a multi-item thread early in the year (https://www.antiquers.com/threads/odds-and-sods.58736/) and am coming back to it to ask if anyone can say where and when it is likely to have been made, please.

There are no marks that I can see and it doesn't look precious or antique, but at the same time it looks as if some time and effort went into the beads. The owner was not Muslim, so it could well have been bought as a souvenir.

Thanks for looking!

001.JPG IMG_6595.JPG IMG_6598.JPG

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't recognize a specific style.
    I believe there is a komboloi museum in Greece that knows about komboloi (obviously ;)) and related worry and prayer beads. I'll see if I can find contact info.
    Yes it could have been bought by anyone. I have two tasbehs, one egg yolk amber and one inlaid black faturan, and I am not a Muslim.:)

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    kyratango, Hamburger and KSW like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

4. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Good morning and thanks for that, AJ. :)
    The point I was trying to make -- obviously not well enough ;) -- was that if it was bought by tourists it might have been made for that market rather than for devotional use. Which might help with identification...

Would you care to show us yours? Pretty please?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

As far as I know they are made the same, the use depends on who buys them.
    No photos on file as yet.:( If I can pluck up the energy to look for them, and find them, I will take photos.

Hamburger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted