Featured Mixed red plastic bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Sep 23, 2021.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hi folks

I bet you can guess what I thought this was when I found it

Unfortunately I don't think so now. They leave a red mark when tested not yellow, and there look to be seams on some of the small ones (not all)

They do create a smell in hot water test, but quite a nice smell, so totally confused as to what they are

Several different types as well

Still quite lovely looking though

Any thoughts to what they are appreciated

$_57 - 2021-09-23T191526.930.jpg $_57 - 2021-09-23T191634.143.jpg $_57 - 2021-09-23T191703.403.jpg $_57 - 2021-09-23T191738.950.jpg $_57 - 2021-09-23T191811.607.jpg $_57 - 2021-09-23T191841.963.jpg $_57 - 2021-09-23T191911.375.jpg $_57 - 2021-09-23T191937.749.jpg

judy, elarnia, Xristina and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:(
    Pretty though, and individually knotted, which is good. The costume joolies will probably know more.

3. charlie cheswick

O those knots, I got all excited about those knots:(:)

judy, Darkwing Manor, reader and 3 others like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Are they not a molded synthetic? I see seams.Pretty and higher quality since knotted.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Good quality sixties plastic. Nice, too.

6. charlie cheswick

Legend, thanks obb

judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

What DID you think they were?

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  8. charlie cheswick

I thought they could of been cherry amber bakelite beads, and if you do a search, they sell for a pretty penny.

But they wouldn't have seams if that was the case

So these are probably a later faux cherry amber plastic

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Red acrylic bead necklace. Mostly. Did you check those opaque four along with the rest? Those would have me curious. I'd check them with the baking soda test. It works on red bakelite as often as not. (damp q tip dipped in baking soda and rubbed hard on the bead. Hold it close to your nose while you're doing it just in case. Bakelite should smell of formaldehyde.)

Somebody restrung two broken pieces together to make one necklace - probably the old nylon "string" and cotton string died the death of all nylon strings and old cotton. They clear ones look good at first, but there was no way they were bakelite when held to a light. If you see a bubble-like area inside the bead, it ain't. Bakelite beads have to be drilled. The acrylic ones have those bubble areas. The others?

judy, Boland and charlie cheswick like this.
  10. charlie cheswick

Hi evey

The opaque ones don't produce any colour with the qtip/soda test

But smell like the small ones do( not bakelite smell)

I think acrylic is right

judy likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

None at all ... those opaque ones might be "right". They don't always test.

charlie cheswick and judy like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Are there definitely seams in the clear ones? I'm not seeing that, but sounds like you confirmed? Seams would definitely rule out Bakelite as stated.

Those larger opaque ones are interesting to my eye. (And no seams, right?) Evelyb might be correct someone combined beads to create this necklace.

I don't often see acrylic beads hand knotted. Of course there will be examples out there, but maybe hang on to this for a bit until you are 100% sure what is what.

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted