Featured Modern carpet balls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Remember when these were a thing? I have a giant canister full of them. I can't even get the local consignment shop to take any of them. There must be some kind of crafty thing to do with them.'' IMG_0369.JPG

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I had to google that one.

It's a game. Like lawn bowling.

phew :hilarious:

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oy the 1980s ! These were such a thing. I havent seen these in a decorating mag (and I get them all) in a very long time.

judy, antidiem, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Christmas Tree Shops Bev, I've had them and it took forever to sell at the flea at $3 each :sorry:

5. Jivvy

Are they ceramic? And are they hollow? If yes, some people would smash them up and use them for mosaics.

If they're ceramic solid... that's a tough one. I did check Pinterest and no one seems to be using them for craft projects.

Which proves these are a tough sell -- because Pinterest uses everything for crafts. :hilarious:

Tanya, judy, antidiem and 1 other person like this.
  6. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

They're actually making a comeback here! Anything blue & white, elephants, and yes....even brass.

judy, antidiem, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  7. johnnycb09

Bite your tongue ! My mother was big into brass everything (it was the 70s) and I spent way too much of my childhood polishing that mess! To this day I dont own any !

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    I have 5 of them although mine are all blue and white Chinese dragons on them. I love them and they make nice decorating with. I love mine filling and empty bowl on a shelf. If I had more I would mound them up in a clear bowl on the dining room table.
    greg

9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Sounds like a match.

antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I never heard of these before. I guess I am living under a rock. LOL

As far as brass goes, it is big. I am not a fan of it at all, but it appears that many love it for decorating. And brass candlesticks are huge for weddings and parties.
    They sell like hotcakes on etsy if you lot them together, say 20 or so in varying sizes.

I see sellers saying many of the brass items are mid century, but I believe that most are from the 70's or 80's and may be from The Bombay Shops that were in the malls.:woot:

judy, johnnycb09 and antidiem like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My SIL has several she switches around and mixes in a nice bowl.....moves it around here and there.....I think they look terrific!!!! Haha....I thought they were antique until I saw a gazillion of them at Christmas Tree Shops!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tanya, judy and antidiem like this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I know where you can find MORE^^!! :cat::cat:

judy likes this.
  13. antidiem

Man has actually real bochii balls (spelling unknown) and they are vintage and made of wood, nicely painted but not frivolously painted. He won't let me roll them in his yard :rolleyes: because they will be damaged by lava rock :rolleyes: , so I suggested we bring them to Louisiana where we must only worry about water damages there lol :smuggrin::smuggrin:

14. johnnycb09

I loved Bombay ! They had such lovely quality usually,Ive still got some pieces from there going on 20+ years.

15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

You could get a piece of rebar, spray paint it white or blue or green and glue one to the top making yourself some yard ornaments.

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Or put 3 - 5 in a large round bird bath that sits on the ground.

17. antidiem

The birds will love them and so will squirrels! LOL!!! :D

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Jivvy like this.
  18. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I'm with Greg: Fill up a bowl when you need some quick colour.

Aquitaine, judy and Jivvy like this.
  19. Jivvy

My bed and one table, both from Bombay... and, on occasion, they had lovely little and cheap dollhouse pieces!

It doesn't seem all that long ago that weddings were all about the milk glass. When my niece got married (2010), I hit up every thrift shop in town for $1 vases.

There's also this:
    temp01.jpg

20. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

You could balance a bowl on top of each of them, Jivvy ... :) What a clever and quirky collection.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Aquitaine, judy and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted