Modern Cubist Oil On Canvas

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 24, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Not sure if factory one or not. Could not find any signature. The execution is not that bad, maybe on average level?
    Does not seem to have any age to it.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

I agree, nicely done.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If someone could paint that well , don't you think they'd sign it ...
    I see no age to the frame at all.

4. kardinalisimo

I am not sure what are you trying to say. I don't see any connection between painting well and signing the art. You have bad paintings with signatures and masterpieces without.

5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Modern factory picture.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm trying to say this looks brand new and now a days anyone who could paint like this would sign their work.
    I'm wondering if it's not a giclee.

7. kardinalisimo

It is oil. Could be factory or just unsigned original art. Or signed, will have a better look at the edges and corners.
    By the way, most if not all the factory paintings I've seen are signed, made up names or not.

Attached Files:

8. kardinalisimo

I think I will keep this one, factory or not. At least till I get bored with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think it is a factory work and giclee as others have said. Giclee reproductions look just like real oil paintings, but they can be produced in mass.

From a website advertising giclee canvas paintings...

For those looking to spruce up their office, home or workspace with fine art, giclee canvas art is an excellent option. Giclee canvas gives the same elegant look of an original oil painting, and there is even technology available to give these canvases the authentic look and feel of brushstrokes.

That would be my hunch on this piece.

10. Mark London

Not a giclee but rather a slick factory painting signed or not

11. kardinalisimo

As you already know I have limited knowledge in art but how is this a print. It is oil on canvas.
    Mark London, what makes it a factory piece but not a painting done by an individual artist?

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks painted to me. Looks vaguely Mexican. I didn't do an image search.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  13. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

14. Mark London

Kardinalisimo,

I cannot tell you with 100% certainty whether this is from a factory or by some "talented amateur" but rather offer an opinion based on photographs of the piece.

This opinion is backed up by over 40 years experience as a fine art dealer, an art history degree, and an exposure to literally tens of thousands of artworks in museums, galleries, artists' studios, and yes, even paint factories in Shanghai and Manilla.

One of the things to look at is the quality (or lack thereof) of the paint, canvas, & stretchers, all of which look low end on your picture. Professional materials are far better and significantly more expensive than what one would see in a factory picture or even at your neighborhood art supply store.

Another thing to remember is that the artists working in Asian paint factories are pretty damned good. They work 10 to 12 hours a day for most of the year and know how to handle a brush. It should come as no surprise that their pieces look "better" than the legion of Bob Ross inspired Sunday paint slingers.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's certainly better than sponged pine trees and palette knife daisies.

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

With the number of paintings you purchase, you really should go to the library and study up on genres and painters. Not that your choices are bad, but you haven't quite caught the styles of paintings, yet. This is a Picasso-like style, but definitely not Cubist. It wouldn't take long for you to learn a bit more. Not that we aren't happy to help, but it's like any subject - reading and visiting galleries and museums will go further than a bunch of online opinions. I say that to anyone who is delving into a subject. If you want to understand antique furniture, go to a good antique shop (not a second hand store) and look at the details, check out a book on styles so you can tell Queen Anne from Regency.

19. Mark London

Bev,

You might say that soulless factory paintings are more about perspiration than inspiration but the other side of the coin is that many supposedly creative pieces are pure junk both technically and aesthetically.

At the end of the day these are very subjective judgements.

I like to point out that anyone can legally claim to be an artist whereas lawyers. doctors, accountants, etc. all have to undergo extensive educations, examinations, and certifications and all have to answer for the quality and professional standards of their work. Just go to youtube and you can see countless examples of elephants or monkeys painting. Just because they can smush some paint onto canvas doesn't make them artists. Ditto many of their humanoid confreres.

Not everything that comes out of the paint factories is devoid of inspiration or soul. They are just quickly produced with low priced labor and materials in order to satisfy a particular niche of the global art market.

Draft saved Draft deleted