Featured Modern Day Treasure Hunter

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Aug 31, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I'm going to keep my comments fairly brief tonight. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'm glad to share the details of my finds today. As always, I feel blessed to have found these treasures.

Story #1 is my finds from local thrift stores. I got lucky in one store I managed to find three bags full of real silver in plain view. The only tricky items in the photos below are the 900 and 800 silver dishes. I didn't even see the marks inside the bag, I thought the metal felt pliable and they were cheap. Including a few speculative items that turned out to be plated, I spent $22 on everything in the first photo.

I went to a bunch of other stores, and snagged the flatware in the last photo. They were tucked into a set of flatware the store had priced at $70 (too much for me). I saw them last week and I was waiting/hoping there would be a sale. Even though I strolled in mid afternoon, they were still there with 50% off. So snagged for $35 and I'll sell the plated set they came with to cover my cost. That's it for story #1, story #2 will be in a separate post below:

IMG_1989.JPG IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1991.JPG IMG_1992.JPG IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1995.JPG IMG_1996.JPG IMG_1997.JPG IMG_1998.JPG IMG_2001.JPG

lloyd249, cxgirl, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  2. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

On to story #2. I've been quite happily expanding my online searching for silver. I've developed some great techniques, and I'm pleasantly surprised with my finds so far. Today was no exception. Yesterday I saw a post advertising a "Silver Tea Set" which looked promising. It was posted for a very low sum ($75). I messaged the seller and asked if I could see a photo of the bottom of one of the pieces. I had to do this because they live two hours away from me, and it's not worth my time to drive that far unless I know what it was.

Later that night, the buyer basically informed me that they realized the set was much more valuable, as they saw the sterling mark on the bottom. My heart sank immediately, but then they messaged me with a higher price and asked if I was interested. I'm not going to mention what I paid, but I got a nice deal, especially considering what the set was. Drove out 2 hours today, paid the $$$$, and got my own "not so little" teapot set. The listing also came with a very nice and very large Reed and Barton plated tray that I'll sell to cover some of my expense. I hope you enjoy the photos of the "farm fresh" tea set. I've clearly got some polishing to take care of. The set weighs 3606 grams.

IMG_2002.JPG IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2004.JPG IMG_2005.JPG IMG_2006.JPG IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2008.JPG

lloyd249, cxgirl, johnnycb09 and 9 others like this.
  3. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

A fairly modern bottle of about three ounces I picked up for $8 at a mostly overpriced estate sale on the second day
    Untitled-TrueColor-02.jpg

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

One down, three to go:

IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2015.JPG IMG_2016.JPG IMG_2017.JPG

komokwa, lloyd249, cxgirl and 8 others like this.
  7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

SO LOVELY Nate ... Great Buy !!! ... Joy. :):)

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I KNEW you'd start with the creamer!! I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, if I were you!

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Haha, I told myself I would just polish the handle last night to see how it would look. Obviously I couldn’t just stop with a polished handle...

lloyd249, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Terry, the maker seems to bring good $$ at market from what I have seen.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh wow ! That tea set is scrumptious! Well done as always,Silver Whisperer!

Christmasjoy, judy, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Johnny, I need to stop collecting so I can start polishing some of the finds!

Christmasjoy, judy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

You do such a fabulous job of bringing pieces back to life, don't stop collecting Mr Nate, all that unpolished silver needs to be found by you:)

16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Sorry it took so long, I finally completed my polishing chores, here's the set completed:

IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2129.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2134.JPG IMG_2135.JPG IMG_2136.JPG IMG_2137.JPG

17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

How fabulous! Id love to peek in your treasure room,like Ali Babas cave I bet !

cxgirl, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  18. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I am GOBSMACKED !!! Beautiful Nate !!! that must have taken you a long time, very nice indeed ... Joy. :):):)

Houseful, cxgirl, judy and 1 other person like this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Johnny, I pinch myself everyday. I'm still shocked with all the goodies I've been fortunate to acquire. This set has to top the list. As for the treasure room, it would be more insane if I didn't get rid of everything earlier this year, but it's still amazing given my recent finds.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  20. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Christmasjoy. It absolutely took forever, but it was 100% a labor of love. I would just sit down in my recliner with q-tips mostly and polish and slowly make my way around an item. I don't like to cut corners polishing, because the first polish bringing an item out of tarnished storage is fairly important in my opinion. One good polish is much easier to maintain.

cxgirl, Bakersgma, judy and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted