Featured Modernist chrome mushroom-like lamp

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure what forum to use for this lamp.

A couple of questions below. Age? Maker?

Guessing 1970s-1990s, but would love to hear thoughts. Even wondered if it could be newer still. Chrome or some kind of base metal. 26" high, shade is pretty large at 18" across.

Gilbert plug is ungrounded with equal size blades. (I see that this kind of plug is still available for sale, but would a modern lamp from 2018 have one like this or does this ungrounded style give us a clue?)

Inside of the shade has a white finish.

Sticker on side of base reads: Exxon Enterprises, Pasadena, CA with a serial number.
    Not suggesting that Exxon made this -- maybe an inventory number for something that was in an Exxon Enterprises office at one time?

Sockets are ceramic. Base is heavy-- sort of filled with a stone like substance. Base is covered with felt, no makers marks anywhere.

Thanks for taking a look. Any thoughts on maker or age?

lamp1.jpg

lamp2.jpg

lamp3.jpg

lamp4.jpg

lamp4b.jpg

lamp5.jpg

lamp6.jpg

alamp.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My very 1st thought was 1980s,if I remember correctly those push button switches were popular then. I love this lamp !

Jivvy, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I like the simplicity of the design. There's an Italian company by the name of Reggiani that made a lot of chrome lamps in the mid-century era. This one is kind of fooling me, in terms of the year.

A plug with equal sized blades is referred to as a non-polarized plug. I generally associate their usage with lamps and electrical components prior to the 80s, but that is not a hard and fast rule as companies could technically still use them. Although, you'd be hard-pressed to find many on the majority of household products today do for various reasons.

In the last photo, it looks like there's an inline switch on the cord. Is that part of the lamp cord? If so, does the switch on the lamp base control which bulbs illuminate or is it a power switch?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What does the label on the lamp base say?

Debora

5. Lucille.b

Debora, that is the part that has this info: "Exxon Enterprises Pasadena CA Serial Number..."

Sabre, sorry for the tangle of cords in that last photo. That inline switch actually belongs to something else I quickly moved off the table to take the photo.

So just a solid cord on the lamp, the only on/off is that button switch on the base. And it is all or nothing. All 3 bulbs go on or off. No other settings.

Attempting to search this trying "vintage chrome mushroom lamp", getting some somewhat similar (but not exact) by Guzzini. Nothing with this base though -- compared to the Guzzini ones online, this base is a bit wider and has that on/off switch as mentioned. Will check Reggiani.

This has the Underwriters Laboratories ceramic socket. Would that rule out an Italian company?

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Nice lamp Lucille:) I had one several years ago but I think it had 2 light bulbs rather than 3, was made by the Laurel lamp Co., might be worth checking them out.

7. sabre123

Thanks for the clarification on the cord. To your point about whether an Italian company would have a UL label, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that there would be certain advantages for other countries to gain approval if selling in the States. Safety / credibility, etc. But I have not researched that. But, Reggiani stuck out in my head for chrome mid century. There are probably a ton of US companies that made similar.

8. Lucille.b

CX, do you recall if yours had a maker's mark in any way? Just took a quick look and similar Laurel Lamp Co. pieces, for sure. But nothing exact so far.

The only successful research I've done is that I found an "Exxon Enterprises, Inc." advertisement in an online 1980 Computer magazine. Possibly the company was in existence prior to that ad, so probably 1970s or 80s if this was in one of the offices. Still thinking that is what the label refers to, but kind of odd it is on there. Maybe this was in storage for the firm? Condition isn't pristine, but it is a pretty cool design, so hoping someone will want it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

10. Lucille.b

That is definitely the closest I've seen, right down to the base on/off button.

Thanks!

Different measurements, shade is a bit different, but darn close! I wish they showed a better shot of the sockets, but from what I can see looks like they might be the same as mine.

Nice comparable. Might be a Laurel Lamp Co. lamp.

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I was hoping I had some photos, but I seem to think there was a partial paper label on the bottom.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

13. Lucille.b

Yes, that looks a lot like this shade.

Thank you! :)

judy, Christmasjoy, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Exxon Enterprises appears to be the joint venture "arm" of Exxon. In that case, unlikely they were the lamp's manufacturer.

Debora

15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

edited out

Lucille.b likes this.
  16. sabre123

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"The Storage Technology Corporation said that it had reached an agreement in principle with the Exxon Corporation to acquire the Star Systems division of Exxon Enterprises, a division of Exxon, for an undisclosed amount of cash. Star Systems, which is in Pasadena, Calif., has been developing optical systems for the storage and retrieval of data since 1978."

From the New York Times in June 9, 1981. I think the Exxon Enterprises sticker with UPC might be nothing more than part of a corporate furnishings inventory system.

Debora

Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Thanks, Debora. That's what I initially thought. Some kind of inventory sticker.

And Storage Tech used to have a presence where I live (not CA) so maybe someone brought it here from the CA facility at some point.

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted