Modernist silver whatsit?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wildrose, Sep 15, 2015.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

This piece is interesting and cool but what is it? I am pretty sure it is silver but have yet to find a mark anywhere. I wrote an email inquiry to Marbeth Schon sometime ago but never got a reply. Anyone have any ideas on who else might know what it is? It is about 6" long. Thank you. whatsit.jpg whatsit1.jpg whatsit2.jpg

Ryan and cartoongirl like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

THAT has me kerflummoxed!

Best guess -- christening spoon for a Valkyrie!

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

To me, it looks like stainless steel made by an artisan. A spoon, with no special purpose other than to look cool. The little rippled thing on the back would allow you to set the spoon on a bowl or cup without it slipping away.

Ryan and Figtree3 like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is it very heavy?
    Does the clip on the back lift a little?

Too big for a hair clip.
    Would it hold the page of your cookbook open?

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Recipe for stewed Wolverine, perhaps?

6. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

It has good weight, I don't think it would hold a page up and it would not work as a hairclip. If jewelry I think a scarf ring type thing.... I just don't know.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that would tear a nice scarf to shreds.....

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

But would it tear a chef's neckerchief . . . especially if the chef was a female engaged in cooking on a television show or perhaps in a "special" setting for other females to watch her cook?

Just a wild-eyed thought . . . but "old" traditions do sometimes fall by the wayside. ;)

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No...but it would slip off the neckerchief into the stew.....creating quite a ' stir' !!!
    :hilarious::hilarious:

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like a fancy caddy spoon to me.

11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I can see that you're not likin' my answer. But, every 1st weekend of December we have a big crafts/artisan's show here in town. Artisans who make everything from glass, pottery, leather, wood items, clothing, jewelry etc. etc. come from all over to sell their wares. This is the type of thing that I would see for sale there and could swear that I have. To me it looks like a laser cut stainless steel spoon, possibly offered with a funky pottery bowl. I searched the web trying to find an example but couldn't. So maybe it's a figment of my imagination. Are you thinking about having it tested for silver? That might help to answer some questions. Good luck in figuring it out!

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's a Klingon eating implement. If you get attacked during the soup course, you can convert it to a mini-batlef.

silverthwait and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted