Modernist still life - Russian? Help with signature?

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Jan 29, 2015.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Picked up this oil on laid canvas at the thrift store yesterday. Writing on the back appears to be Russian. I assume this is the artist. Any translation?

Can't decide if this one is good or not. It has some appeal but there is a certain lack of perspective to it. Although you can tell that some items are clearly in front of others, they seem a bit disembodied....... Not to mention that ghostly glow around a couple of them. Comments?

stuff1050.jpg

stuff1050a.jpg

2. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

It reads P.N. Baranov, till life.

3. verybrad

Thank you !!!!!!

4. kardinalisimo

if you want to search in Russian
    Баранов П Н

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice - I wonder what the K. M. is for?

6. verybrad

Hard saying what the K. M. is for. Seems a bit disembodied from the rest to be in context. I am finding a few artists with the name, Baranov, but none with the first initials P. N. I do appreciate the translation of this. It would have taken me quite awhile to get this on my own. Kardinalisimo's typing out the Russian here also really helped. I was able to copy and paste it in to search engines. I feel like I have at least exhausted my search on the internet.

7. kardinalisimo

I've seen "k.m. (к.м.)"on other Russian painting as well so I will try to figure what it stands for. I did looked for the artist but no much with the initials.
    By the way, the 'stil life' on the back is "натюрморт", sounds like the French "nature morte"

Draft saved Draft deleted