Modernist Whitby Jet or Other Type Brooch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KevinM, Mar 27, 2016.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I recently got this brooch or pin that looks like it could be Whitby Jet or some other type of composite material.

It looks like it has a bark type surface and the black part side edge seems to have horizontal curved layer lines similar to that in a tree while the vertical edge saw marks can be seen (please see image 4).

I realize it may be hard to tell from the images I took but does anyone know if this is made from Whitby Jet or some other type of composite?

Thanks!
    Kevin

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Water buffalo horn

jackolin and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Very nice.....an ebony type maybe ???

I'm just not seeing the same markings as the jet.....IMO.

raw jet
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not jet or horn. And old "plastic", using that in the generic sense.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still unsure of what this brooch is made out of. I don't think it's ebony or made of any new age wood but I guess it's possible. It's could be some type of horn but I'm not sure about that and it certainly could be some type of plastic composite or something else. I did try a red hot pin test on the black area and it did not melt, it only made a tiny mark or dot from the pin tip on the surface of the black area. As you can see I'm still not certain what it is but I do appreciate your suggestions and help.

I think the thing that gets me is on the front of the brooch the uneven surface and what looks like bark on it and the uneven tree like horizontal lines around the sides and on the back the valley area in the center with the striations running throughout it. I guess it could be horn but I've never seen a horn with bark on it before. If it is then it was very creative and must have taken awhile to put the contour and bark on the horn. A lot people use material that's available to them to make things.

I'm going to take a few more pictures and post the images below. Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I live close to Whitby and see Jet all the time.
    It is blacker than black and sometimes mirror like.
    Its where the term "As Black as Jet" comes from.
    You can definitely rule out Jet.

8. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Thanks Davey, I already ruled that out, I'm leaning towards that it was made out of horn.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What is the size of this piece? I can't tell the material, unfortunately. Would testing by a jeweler help in this case? Do you think this is from the 1950s-1970s, or do you think it might be even later?

10. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Figtree3, it's about 2 1/2" in height and about 1 3/4" in width. Probably not worth testing. Could be 50's - 70's or later, I don't really know for sure.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like the look of it, no matter what. I don't have any jewelry with this look, but would wear it!

Draft saved Draft deleted