Featured Mold Blown Vaseline Glass Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 20, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

FF1CC873-26EB-4446-8ACD-CD49C4B5B062.jpeg 42E792A9-4389-4478-A72A-33698B83167A.jpeg 2DE7F14B-362F-422B-8FF3-52E5C493A533.jpeg E78C81F2-721A-4378-8FFC-87FF408825EC.jpeg 82AE009E-C41C-4607-BA92-BDEF6D376488.jpeg The side seams finish about 1 1/2” from the lips. Seams on the top of the finish. No pontil scar So, body and finish were molded separately and then joined together?
    Any suggestions on the age?
    Thanks

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    OhhhHHH So pretty!!!! Where is the Jealous emoticon!!!!
    greg

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

4. kardinalisimo

It’s a bit “sick” but looks like it may be cured, not sure how exactly.
    By the way, I am not sure if blown in mold. I read that some of the early machines would remove the upper portion of the side seams.

i need help likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

B5D5A031-B32B-4493-B4C4-BC578F8FAF69.jpeg I posted on two different FB groups and got few replies, all saying that it’s modern and machine made.
    I posted follow-up questions about the fading side seams, the concentric ring below the finish and the not aligned top seams but so far no explanation. If they are correct that this is modern piece, I guess all that was made so the bottle appears older than it is?
    I’ll have to check for uranium but gotta find blacklight.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If you can’t find a black light just put it out in strong sunlight. If uranium is present it will glow for you :)

7. kardinalisimo

A lot of people are saying that with that color it’s likely 70’s or later. What’s with the color, like it did not exist prior to thay time period?

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The color Canary, AKA vaseline, was developeod in the mid 1840s, could have been made any time after that.

i need help and judy like this.
  9. kardinalisimo

I know about the color itself but was it used on actual bottles?

10. kardinalisimo

I’m really surprised how glass collectors respond when they see something that is not in the books or have not seen.
    Nobody is answering to my question if modern bottle making machine produce seams that fade out and offset seams.

11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Many of us don't study bottles, but pressed or art glass. The two products have little shared technique

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with those that say this is a modern color. It would have been expensive to make. Bottles were mostly functional.

If you scroll down here you will see that Vaseline glass is not listed.
    If you investigate this site, you may find the answers about seams.
    https://sha.org/bottle/colors.htm

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have been collecting Vaseline glass for 50 years. I have had numerous pieces of dinner ware and glasses also ladies dresser sets and pitchers and salts. I have only had two bottles made with Vaseline colorents. Since the 1980s I have so many things made with strange colorents that do not contain uranium. They look like Vaseline but do not really have the intense glow that older Vaseline has under black light or strong sun light.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted