Featured Moms 14 K Gold Watch..........

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by komokwa, Apr 2, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's not that old
    the watch is by a quality maker
    I'd wear it if I could.......but I can't.....& I can't scrap it .......
    Can I get some decent money for it......or leave it in a drawer...? SIGH....!!!!!

I'll take any thoughts......& likely put it back in the drawer....:(:(

IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2373.JPG

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The watch is worth about $50, the rest is $25/gram.

komokwa likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Depends on what you consider decent money, whether it's running & keeping time well, and what size wrist it will fit. Does not look easily sizable, although WDIK; if the bracelet is smaller than 7", could have trouble finding a happy buyer.

komokwa likes this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Haven't a clue, but super photos.
    :)

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

OMG, so chic. 1960s.

Debora

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Komo, Your Mom's watch looks lovely!! Is that mesh band 18K?? And have you checked out what "they" (below) have to say about it?? Your images are great to send them....although they also may want insides!!

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/cs

komokwa, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can't believe a 14k MCM bracelet watch from known maker wouldn't have some value.

Debora

komokwa, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful.
    Even though watches are hardly worn anymore, a Tissot watch is definitely worth more than scrap value!

judy, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  9. komokwa

Thanks for the thoughts...guys & gals

I sold some of Moms jewelry...just to force myself to part with it...it was a mistake , but at lease I know I can if I have to.

It's hard to let go your folks stuff....specially nice stuff ! :(

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It hurts, everything has so many memories.

kyratango, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

I think, but am not sure, that I may have a watch by the same maker here too.
    I need to look thru my stuff and see. Could be from my grandmother or grandfather?

I agree about letting go of family stuff. It is very hard to do.

kyratango, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It is very hard to get rid of a Mom's jewelry. I was able to give quite a bit of mine to my wife, but there were pieces that didn't suit her style....and some I can't stand to get rid of....her favorite Timex watch, no longer running, has no value...but it had, to her.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  13. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s very tough making decisions, sorry you need to be going through this, Komokwa.

kyratango, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  14. komokwa

before she died I was giving pieces away to her nieces & granddaughter...the nieces were overwhelmed .....made me feel great !!!!

kyratango, judy, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am having a hard time with the MOM's stuff. My MIL has a lot of expensive jewelry that my other half has given her. My SIL has announced that when Mom goes she is going to give all Moms jewelry to her (my SIL) friends. I was shocked
    I told my MIL she should decide to gets her jewelry. My MIL has all grandsons no girls. I told my MIL make a list of who gets what. I can see the problems and hostilities that are going to happen. It happened to my family and people still are not talking to certain members, I begged my MIL to start listing who get what. I do not think I can bear going through another horrible family disruption. Please PEOPLE decide before it is too late who gets what.
    greg

16. pearlsnblume

I agree Greg. I am in the midst of a horrible situation regarding my father's estate. I tell anyone who will listen, when you make out your will, be direct and clear who gets what and when so it doesn't turn into a mess. This stress is awful.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pearl,
    I have seen a lot of what you have gone through. My father died and my step mother did not have the time to let me know until a week after the funeral. She either sold or gave away everything of my Dad including family pieces. Please people make arrangements for your stuff. My stuff is all spelled out except all of the antique things that I have collected and enjoyed, the stuff that is important is spelled out, the rest of the stuff was gathered so it can be disbursed by the wind or who ever wants it.
    greg

kyratango, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

When my parents passed away it was clearly stated in their wills that everything was to be divided equally (there are 9 of us!). This is how we handled the jewelry...I took all my mother's fine jewelry to the lawyer. While there I took a photo of each piece next to a quarter. The lawyer had an estate jewelry store appraise each piece. I made a PDF with 5 or 6 pieces per page showing the photo and the description with value from the appraisal. Each of us let the lawyer know which pieces we wanted and he sent them to us. If more than one of us wanted the same piece we had to settle it between ourselves and let the lawyer know. It worked for us.

My parents didn't have any antiques and no valuable furniture. There was however, a bar cabinet we all love. So we threw everyone's name into a hat and drew the name of the lucky winner. That worked also, but like I said, we only had the one piece to worry about.

There were hard feelings and some of us are not talking to each other still, but it was not over things. Our family had other issues!

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am having a will and advance directive drawn up next week. I have seen too much turmoil regarding estates in my very own family.

I would have the watch checked, cleaned, repaired if needed. I was only offered $42 scrap value for a 1920s beautiful 14k white gold Gruen. I have to get it back from the repair guys- they have had it since the summer, gave them $80 upfront to fix it. No worries, they are reputable and show me the watch every time I need a battery for something else. They are having difficulty finding parts.

The jewelry....well, that is my thing....I have acquired a large safety deposit box of just gold and a few pieces of platinum....my plan it to label each piece with a recipient, and the rest will go to one specific person. They can auction it off, I won't be here anymore.

But I know how it hurts to see certain things when a person has passed. I didn't understand it until later in life. My father left me a one-of-a kind aquamarine blue mirror with a beautiful snow scene etched into it. He specifically wanted me to have it because I take care of everything. Well, I can't bear to look at it because it brings back so many happy memories, I cry every time I look at it. I can't bear to see it. I am giving it to my brother, I hope it survives. It has been in storage since my favorite aunt passed away, since 1986, in my uncle's house that I inherited. Another painful situation.

My father gave all the family jewelry to my sister because he thought I would sell it. I would never have sold any of it; since I treasure hunt and sell some of my finds, he didn't trust me. He gave it all to my sister. My sister lost the house she inherited from him because she never paid the taxes and never told us. My brother could have purchased it for the back taxes if he had known, no, he had to pay the market value. My sister did give me a few of the family pieces she didn't want, but she kept the ring my aunt wore ever day of her life, and I am sure that is gone because my sister is not well (I have to leave it at that.) But then again, I don't think I could have worn it, I am just sorry it is lost. I would have left it to a younger family member. My father left an UNSIGNED will and my two sisters and brother had to resort to lawyers. It didn't go well. I wanted nothing and stayed out of it.

My mother passed away when I was 27. The four of us were basically estranged from her and wanted nothing. We arranged the funeral, cleaned her room (it was a mess), and paid for the wake. I asked for the mother's ring I bought her (I had it custom made- all of us were born in June, and she was born in April, so I had four white akoya pearls set with a diamond in white gold.) I was told it was stolen. The only other thing I wanted was a pair of 14k white gold marcasite earrings I bought her... those were apparently not stolen. Her brother came in and took her car and TV the night she died (she lived in a room with our grandmother.) I went and filed for the life insurance check for my grandmother, $15,000, and had it sent to my aunt for safe keeping. My aunt went to Hawaii and never paid the funeral bill from it. She eventually did after I told my grandmother what happened.

Sorry I rambled on. Thank God my uncle had everything arranged.

Komokwa, you don't have to decide anything right now. If they are only offering you scrap value, just put it back in the drawer. You don't have to make the decision now. That much I have learned this year. Best wishes to you, and you are in my prayers.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  20. pearlsnblume

Marko, sorry for all the heartache.

Draft saved Draft deleted