Monogram - Boston Artist from 1877 ... but who?

Discussion in 'Art' started by OakandThistle, Mar 30, 2021.

1. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

Young Boy in Fez - oil on board, 13 ½” x 10 ½” purchased on eBay with no further info.

I have searched many times over the past 12 years to uncover this monogram with no success. I even contacted Colleene Fesko (Antiques Road Show) and she did not recognize it. Maybe someone here might have a suggestion for further research. This piece appears to have been exhibited in the gallery of Doll & Richards who occupied 2 Park Street, Boston as the partial label on the back reads. In pencil is “No. 6” & “accepted.” Some faint chalk markings read “X 25” and a symbol.

The exhibit may have been in 1878 but I can find no records of it on the internet. Monogram appears to be three initials as I believe there are two periods. Initials could be any combination of many possible letters. If anyone has seen this monogram before I would appreciate the lead. Thanks.
    E27423A9-F770-47AE-9971-60AA6085C9DC.jpeg 56BFE150-92A5-43C9-8EE2-4C923F4C7720.jpeg CE92BA28-5582-4234-A84E-ED3C494B4EDF.jpeg 43346C24-A943-44FD-B55C-5014E5FB5D38.jpeg

Roaring20s and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Nice painting.

Now's a great time to contact various Boston area museums. You might catch a curator with a spare minute to be of help. ;)

James.

i need help likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Roaring20s likes this.
  4. i need help

5. i need help

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I see ... S ... M ... J

8. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

thanks to all for the suggestions. I did contact the Smithsonian but got no response. I may try again. I believe I read somewhere that the exhibition records for D&R were lost for years prior to 1882. As for initials, I agree with Roaring20s ... S M J account for all the lines if you accept the flourish at the top of the “M”. A few of the “J” in the Monogram site come close. And thanks for the auction record ... the seller lost a little on it . This is another one that may never be solved.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How frustrating. Someone must know. I assume you've contacted some of the Boston fine arts museums? How 'bout someone who specializes in the Boston School? A bit before its time but a scholar would know influences.

Debora

10. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

It is a very nice painting and I hope you can discover the artist. I would like to throw out another possibility for the initials, because I saw (in whatever order) S..V..O. Because the S is blocky and not rounded, I thought that could be a blocky O in the monogram.

11. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

Ummmm...I just saw the reference to the central vertical line, which changes my suggestion now, so I guess I agree with S...T...M.

12. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

If we remove the straight line in the middle I think we can plainly see an “S” & “M”. So the middle line is the most questionable. What I once thought was a period may certainly be the bottom of a “J” ... thus only one period is present. It could also be an “I” or possibly a “T” (I think that’s a stretch). I think most likely we have a combination of S, J, & M. But still no name. Thanks for all suggestions.

13. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

I really haven’t contacted any Boston museums. I never considered that they might research it for me. I’ll do some research into that. Thanks.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect them to do research for you but... Someone with expertise in the late Victorian art scene in Boston may well recognize the monogram without difficulty. You should look for a curator or art professor, perhaps someone who has written on the subject.

Debora

Roaring20s likes this.
  15. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  16. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

1878 was the year Doll & Richards moved to their location at 2 Park Street. There are some articles from that time that mention the doings of Boston artists. One of them was James Madison Stone. That could fit your mystery monogram.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a very good lead.

Debora

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

19. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The one work of his i looked at was close enough in style that it's worth looking into

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I thought so too.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted