Monogrammed Napkin Rings - Why are They Numbered?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by dgbjwc, Jul 2, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies - Next up. I've got a set of six napkin rings. No makers mark on either box or napkin rings. I'm assuming there's some age to them but they're not tarnished much. They are monogrammed "W" but they are also numbered 1 through 6. I'm not sure I understand why they are numbered? Is it so if one went missing you knew who took it? Is there any way of knowing what the metal is? Sorry for so many questions. All I wanted was a pair of birds on branches salt and pepper shakers but this stuff came along with the lot. Thanks for whatever insight you can provide.
    Don

IMG_20180702_182358173.jpg IMG_20180702_182418576.jpg IMG_20180702_182459597.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like they were made on a rolling mill and the initial either engraved or stamped.On #4 it looks like a tilted "T" on the inside and possible a seam line to the left of it.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The reason napkin rings were engraved with names or initials was to identify who the napkin belonged to, since you would use the same napkin for multiple meals, in the case of a set with the family initial, one would have their own number...

~Cheryl

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with Cheryl.
    Napkins were not washed daily. They were re used. Everyone had their own napkin ring to identify their napkin.

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

You are number six

I am the new number two

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The thought of reusing a cloth napkin makes me throw up in my mouth a little!

Christmasjoy and DragonflyWink like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

That's why you had "your" own napkin! ! !:yuck::yuck::yuck:

9. DragonflyWink

I am not a number - I am a person...

~Cheryl

10. clutteredcloset49

In today's world yes.
    In an earlier time, you didn't have feelings. Sorry.;)

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

Heh, believe Terry was referencing 'The Prisoner' - probably should have said, "I am not a number - I am a free man", but given my gender, used, "...person", a later line from the series, to which Number Two responds, "Six of one - half a dozen of another."

~Cheryl

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I liked the water balloons.....:eek:

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hmm - reusing napkins, yuck! Using numbers instead of names - again not a fan. Forget I brought any of this up folks. I'm going back to Facebook to look for pictures of kittens doing silly things.
    Don

15. clutteredcloset49

Oh sorry. I was trying to be funny.
    The only movies we see are the ones that come out on CD years after the fact. And even then, we don't see very many. Have no idea what that movie is.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

Pretty obscure reference to a '60s British TV show starring the wonderful Patrick McGoohan (also the somehow related Danger Man/Secret Agent) - very trippy and I loved it...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. DragonflyWink

The Johnny Rivers song:

~Cheryl

18. clutteredcloset49

Now that I remember.
    The other haven't a clue on.
    Obviously not with it culturally.:oops::oops::oops:

19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I am number 6 also (of 9 children)! When I called my mother I would say "Hi, it's number 6." :woot:

20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I remember my mother telling us that years ago, when she was in college (1940's, at a women's college) each student had to bring a napkin ring from home. These were stored in little, assigned cubbies in the dorm's dining hall.

Each girl was provided with 2 cloth napkins each week, although only one was given at a time. She had to reuse the napkin, then keep it in the napkin ring in her cubby, until whatever day the clean napkins were provided again.