Featured Moorcroft bowl cleaning

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Jan 28, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

IMG_20200128_213754.jpg IMG_20200128_213801.jpg Any way to polish this without ruining enamel? Thanks!

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Fid, Bakersgma, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I tried but no change. Years ago I tried some brass cleaner on a pottery piece just to see what would happen. It bonded nicely and took away the appearance of dullness and scratches. I can't remember the brand and have no idea if it would have ruined the enamel in the long term as I gave the piece away, but it helped buff it out nicely.

judy likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is it residue from water? Or has part of the glaze worn away?

judy and dude like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, it's YOUR piece, and if you're NEVER going to use it for eating (don't really know size and what it is!) I suppose you could TRY, but you have some crazing on the piece.....not sure you'd get any decent results......JUST BE SURE TO NOT USE FOR FOOD AFTER!!!!! JMHO!!!!!!! If you just want to shine it up for decorative, what about one of the gloss sealers????

judy, dude and komokwa like this.
  6. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Looks like the latter.

7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the gloss sealers are only for non-fired glazes.

judy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

There is a procuct called Nothin's Better for Glass. Found in hardware stores.
    I've used it and it works well. Barkeeper's Friend works much the same. I use it with a scotch brite pad. May or may not work if the glaze is compromised. Looking again this morning looks more like scum.
    upload_2020-1-29_6-44-47.png

judy and dude like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Soak it in denture tablet solution. That might do it, as might limescale remover. If not, cosmetically, a smear of WD40 or a clear oil.

judy and dude like this.
  10. Rob Churchill

Rob Churchill Member

The best thing to use on Moorcroft is a small amount of Glass cleaner initially , then once its reasonably clean just use lukewarm soapy water .

The glass cleaner will be fine as the glaze contains the raw components of glass

dude and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted