More beads, maybe Roman?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Sorry to hog the Forum with my bead queries. These were left in the jumble jewellery biscuit tin (along with the seed beads) and I thought someone cared enough to string them together. I’ve found out two are called melon beads (black one is an inch long) 4ED06A28-3A1E-431F-97B5-0E05F538E9B3.jpeg BED31906-79D4-403C-83EC-917A5C66D5F8.jpeg 2DB438A2-1405-4CFF-A148-F2BE3A42E3A8.jpeg C447CCDD-178D-465E-A079-36AAC9E4F0D0.jpeg CBB2D7D8-E373-4D59-BED1-83F1CED7B097.jpeg 6419FA31-F105-4DC3-BAD1-506A994A2C64.jpeg and were used all over and may be Roman, these are the 4 strung together. It’s difficult to figure out whether they made from stones, glass or clay, but the pale round one on the long string is definitely stone. Any thoughts anyone? I do realise it’s difficult without handling them but any info or opinions are appreciated.

antidiem likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect more probably Egyptian for some of them. The coloured clay ones look to be faience - that blue one. The two stone ones on the same thread may well be Roman. Likewise the wee glass ones. Got a local museum or archaeology society? You can get these very cheaply, but I love them.

antidiem, Pat P, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's not cared enough as in liked them enough to make something out of them. Just keeping similar beads together & harder to lose. All look very old, although some required more advanced means of manufacture than others. I would look to Africa for the clay beads. Even the Etruscans had more sophisticated beads of glass & faience through trading.

antidiem, Houseful and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Old - as in, 4000 year old - Egyptian faience or coloured clay ones aren't that sophisticated. Or at least, the mass market ones aren't. I've got a string somewhere. There's shops round the British Museum sell them.

antidiem, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Houseful

We do have a museum but I’ve never had replies to my email for my beach fossils, I think they have too few experts who get overwhelmed.
    I’m thrilled to have something so old.

Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

I get that, it's why I bought that Roman glass.

7. Houseful

I’m not sure what to do with them either as I wouldn’t want to mix them with other modern beads so I can understand why someone might not make something else out of them. Think the black one with the two holes would work as a pendant.

Pat P and Bronwen like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Shadow box them?

Pat P, Bronwen and Houseful like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea; small shadowbox frames turn up in craft stores. and displaying the beads wouldn't be difficult.

Houseful and Pat P like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Yup, or a wee box with a glass lid. I'm thinking sit them in it, rather than wall hang.

Houseful and Pat P like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I feel a little awe seeing beads that are likely that old... what a great find! I also like the idea of shadow-boxing them.

Houseful and antidiem like this.
  12. Houseful

It’s been really interesting just handling them, thinking who would have worn them and who made them. Also they were ignored at the jumble, (by me initially too) such a buzz to realise they were something a bit special.

13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

I think it's wonderful that a few beads can provide such a vivid connection with the past! We don't need to "own" a Tutankhamun mask, a Da Vinci or Renoir to hear the subliminal echo that speaks to us of people, places and actions from centuries ago. It's part of what keeps me searching and collecting. :)
    What inspires other members?

Bronwen, Houseful and Pat P like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Stories, history, puzzles. Where has this whatsit been and what has it seen?

Bronwen, AuDragon and Pat P like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

The best bead I ever saw had a finger print in it. A four thousand year old one. It's a bit like seeing paw prints in the baked clay bricks at Herculaneum.

Bronwen, AuDragon, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  16. Houseful

I’m surprised that I’m not too bothered about how much things are worth, I don’t sell much. I’m more interested in finding out what they are, who made them and where and whether I have sniped the other jumble and carboot buyers if the items have been ignored and Charity shop appraisers, (especially if they have been in the hands of their jewellery experts). I’m often told that by the staff.
    The internet is such a help as is this forum of course.

Bronwen, AuDragon and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted