Featured More cabinet cards & one tintype

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by billyd3us, Feb 26, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

For some reason these 2 ladies look familiar to me but can't remember who. Also a tintype of young boy, possibly Billy the Kid, lol, not.

Thanks for all the help..

Billy D. AKA Billy the Kid 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the Cabinet Card Gallery site... but in this case, it's interesting because there are a couple of things that could have been mentioned or improved. The Wright photo that Billy presents appears to be a carte de visite from the 1870s or early 1880s. So although the CC Gallery author found the photographer in those city directories from 1890-1907, he was obviously there before that. Also, it's mentioned that the photographer address in the city directory says he was at 24 Santa Clara St. instead of 284, implying that the 24 was the correct address. But all three photos show the address on the card as 284 Santa Clara. It is more likely that the city directories were incorrect.

This page has a photo on it that indicates that it was taken by photographer Wilbur Wright (not the famous aviator!) in 1875 while the subject was awaiting execution (near the bottom of the page):

https://truewestmagazine.com/a-bandidos-california-colt/

None of the people in the photos looks at all familiar to me. With no names written on the photos, the chances of identification are slimmer than slim.

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Figtree3

I should have noticed it is based on a few sources, including city directories. Since there are multiple date ranges listed and they went for years, I'll assume it was not a typesetting error. :)

7. billyd3us

8. billyd3us

Figtree3, great research for me. Thanks so much for all your work.

9. billyd3us

Man oh man, everybody on this site that replies to my post ROCKS ! This site is way better than collectors weekly, find art info , pottery forum and others I belong to for more than 8 years. I pretty much said goodbye to all them except for the art one.
    You guys are the best people ever, may God Bless each and everyone of you..
    Enjoy your evening tonight, sleep well and may tomorrow be a great day for you all

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My first impression was that the first picture was a man. Then I saw the floral neck piece. LOL

11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Actually it still looks like a male .. the jacket .. no sign of breasts .. HMMmmm .. hard to tell, ... Joy.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted