more chinese dragons, this export vase, 10" high, can anyone decipher this mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, May 20, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No help on mark but this is not an old vase IMO

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Kangxi, I think.

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

is it an issue that one part of the mark is blurred? is that indication of lesser workmanship?

6. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

I just made this same comment on another post which has a vase witht he same characters.
    It looks like these Chinese characters to me.
    年製 康熈
    Which is their system for establishing which time period it came from, this being Kangxi.

7. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Right order of characters is 康熙年制, or Kang Xi nian zhi, i.e., made in the year of Kang Xi.

Can't tell from pictures if the real thing or not. Could well be a copy as Chinese are experts at making both good and bad copies of everything.

One interesting detail on Chinese dragon depictions: from what I know, 5 toes/claws on dragons were reserved for pieces destined to the emperor/imperial palace. Everything else had to have only four toes/claws... Or heads would roll! That's one of the ways of finding out how valuable a piece is.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-5-21_10-47-54.jpeg

what about the 4 toes...

9. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Sorry, my mistake on my post. Four toes for the commoners, five for the emperor. Corrected the original posting.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted