More Costume stuff from the old Jewelry Box

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bdigger, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I've been picking through the old Jewelry box I brought back from Michigan. Here are a few more costume pieces (It's ALL Costume stuff) that I found interesting. The Brooches are old judging by the simple pin in hook closures. The Thimbles are marked ENGLAND. No silver markings or anything though. DSCN2962.JPG
    DSCN2978.JPG
    DSCN2966.JPG DSCN2974.JPG DSCN2971.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bdigger

I'm going to add this interesting piece in to Jewelry and maybe post it in Militaria too. It is marked 1916. DSCN2991.JPG
    DSCN2987.JPG DSCN2988.JPG

komokwa, Messilane and KingofThings like this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

The gold-tone leaf with the "pearl" looks like a piece from a "club" (think Tupperware) that was popular in the 1960s. Wish I could remember the name.................

Bdigger and KingofThings like this.
  4. Bdigger

Thanks Mansons!
    I would bet it was Sarah Coventry! There are a few pieces of SC in the box!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

That's the one..................and I have NO idea WHY I thought that...............

Bdigger likes this.
  6. Bdigger

Thanks Mansons! It's amazing what tidbits of info just pop into our heads when we didn't even know we knew them! LOL

janettekay likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cool stuff, Mike!

You might want to post the crossed swords item in Militaria too. I *think* the crossed swords device is for infantry, but I'm not 100% sure. Definitely old enough to be WWI by the pin construction, maybe even older?

8. Bdigger

Thanks Bakers! I just posted it over there~

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Early 1900s, - possibly an Austrian crystal. Clean it. upload_2016-11-27_8-54-39.png

The rose is coral with two pearls. You can check to see if the pearls are real by rubbing on your tooth. If smooth, then fake. If it feels like sandpaper, then they are real.
    Date is probably a little later than the Crystal pin.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  10. clutteredcloset49

11. clutteredcloset49

upload_2016-11-27_9-2-29.png
    This is probably about the same age as the Crystal pin. Meant to imitate opal, diamond and emerald.
    Is there a rhinestone missing?

12. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ...The Battle of Verdun stretched from Feb. 21 to Dec. 15, 1916, and was one of the most important battles of World War I — and certainly the longest. French and German armies waged war north of Verdun in northeastern France for an ultimate stalemate. When battle ended, the toll on both sides was more than 250,000 dead and 500,000 wounded.

The medal was ordered Nov. 20, 1916, by the Municipal Council of Verdun, in honor of the city’s defense.

The medal designer was sculptor Emile Seraphin Vernier, the prolific artist whose name appears with the 1917 date on the obverse, along with a personification of Marianne (representing the French Republic).It also shows the phrase ILS NE PASSERONT PAS (“They shall not pass”) from Gen. Robert Nivelle’s June 23, 1916, speech to his troops.

Castle turrets and the date Feb. 21, 1916, appear on the reverse.

The medal was originally to be awarded only to those on the Verdun Front between Feb. 23 and Nov. 2, 1916, but it was eventually extended to all those who fought anywhere in the Argonne and St. Mihiel sectors between July 31, 1914, and Nov. 11, 1918...

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  13. Bdigger

I did the teeth test on the pearls. Yep they feel real to me. I was surprised at that!

14. Bdigger

Hadn't noticed, but yesthere is a rhinestone missing. but I believe it is probably in the bottom of the jewelry box. I saw a bunch of stones an odds and ends there. I will look to see later!

15. Bdigger

Thank You PAT and LAURA! I appreciate your help, research and input! Y'all are wonderful!

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The amber colored pin is 20s/30s Czech glass; the color was popular back then, and the metalwork is distinctive. The glass opal piece probably isn't much later. The crossed swords are Cavalry insignia, probably tankers at that point, but there were some horse units still out there. I think there were horse units in the Philippines in the 20s if not later.

17. Bdigger

Thank you Evelyb. What would be the best way to clean the Czech brooch?

18. Bdigger

What is the best way to clean it?

19. clutteredcloset49

For the crystal, and not the coral or pearls.
    I would use a little ammonia (teaspoonish) with a drop of Dawn dishwaser liquid and water in a small bowl and swish around. Using a soft toothbrush to get into the crevices. Rinse well with clear water. It will sparkle.

That's what I would do.
    You may want to wait and see what others suggest.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  20. clutteredcloset49

Well I goofed - just went back and edited.
    Don't know why I was thinking Dove instead of Dawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted