more indian paintings

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by francoisedwards, Mar 3, 2021.

1. hello, I would like to know more about these paintings
    they were bought in India in the 1990's (and unlike my other thread, they are actually Indian origin!).

the first is 22x14 cm in pencil or charcoal

the second is 28 x 19 cm, it has an export (?) stamp on the front with some writing and some writing on the back as well

I would like to know more about what the paintings represent, their origin and age, and potential value as I want to sell them online

thanks DSC_0573.jpg DSC_0578.jpg DSC_0579.jpg DSC_0580.jpg DSC_0581.jpg

dude likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The first one is a beauty, and looks old. It is difficult to ascertain though, because it is in a mat.
    It is best to have the mat removed, the inner edges look discoloured which suggests acidity. The acid will stain the paper of the painting, which would be a shame, and would influence the value.

The second one is a recent painting painted on an older legal manuscript from the Jaipur government. Jaipur is in Rajasthan.
    The style is of the Mughal miniatures.
    The stamp is not an export stamp, it pre-dates the recent painting.
    The story of recent paintings on old pages is the same as in your other thread:
    The painters of NW India discovered that there fine paintings sell better if they have a suggestion of history, so they use pages from old books (not antique).

dude, kentworld and komokwa like this.
  3. thanks very much, this is fascinating, I think I will keep the first one after all, and its great to understand the backstory to the second one, similar to the one in my other thread

dude and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted